GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

What’s his background?

Portlaoise man, father of Kieran Lillis, former Portlaoise and Laois footballer, Clare heritage I believe. Has done the rounds as a joint manager with former Laois and Portlaoise footballer Mark Kavanagh over the years, and has applied for the Laois job on at least 3 occasions at this point. A very underwhelming selection. Was Portlaoise manager for a few years there, and most famously is the fella that Parkinson went to town on following their extra time defeat to Vincents in Parnell Park a few years ago, the very rant that got Parkinson suspended from the Portlaoise club indefinitely.

I’d have given it to Joe Higgins or Sugrue.

In other news, Cheddar returns for another year.

#honcheddar

1 Like

Ciaran Carey to be appointed Kerry manager.

Is Lillis the chap who wears a golf visor on the sideline and made a fool out of himself the year KIB knocked them out of the A/I club?

No, thats John Mulligan, he took very ill not long back with cancer I believe.

Assistant manager to Pat Roe in Wexford.

I predict that there will be mass retirements/sabbaticals from GGA around the country as players realise that it isn’t worth the heartache in dodgey set ups.

2 Likes

He was too now that you mention it, and in Carlow as well I think. A journeyman failure would be the nice term. He was Laois minor manager this year too.

I’m surprised its taken this long for players to cop on. Well, those who aren’t students.

The Mayo lads have taken the hump now I see.

Being a Portlaoise man seems to have been a key criterion

Apparantly they have a new team ready to rock.
Donal Og with joint manager Frank Murphy

Not as much as being cheap

Bang on. The whole thing in cork is hilarious.
Managers with an interest in the job having to check what players will play, players playing coy and trying to weigh up options and not fall out with anyone, dual players having the most to think about.

If Cleary gets the football job Cahalane and Walsh will go footballing. And I predict Cork will become a force again and more or less a football county for a few years. Most people seem to think Kingston is too player friendly and it’s the exact opposite they need. I tend to agree and for this reason I think Myler is the solution for 2 years while setting it for someone else and bringing back a bit if steel and pride.

Has been suggested Ronan Mac goes with Cleary as head coach. Would be great.

But I can see a few hurlers leaving either to retire, to concentrate on club or to play football.

The thing is frank would be well aware of all this and may get 2 mediocre guys in to try and keep both sides competitive, which would be a disaster and a chance lost as the footballers with Cahalane, Walsh, McGuire etc become a formidable team again.

Fuck them, they ought to read the Nembo Kid’s critique of themselves and do some soul searching. Instead of confronting their shortcomings they went for the Mayo default option - the manager. Fuck them.

2 Likes

Remind you of any other county on the banks of the Shannon?
Do ya need a hint?

Nothing new there lad. But they’re funny fuckers in Roscommon, even when things seem to be going well there’s cunts (thankfully) stirring the pot. It goes back about 20 years with them in north/south divide with the footballers to the south and the poweReportr brokers to the north. The Gaza issue with pitchforks replacing towels.

1 Like

Those players are all shit though and Cork are miles off being a force in football.

1 Like

Is he not a Clare man originally?

I see Fr Harry Bohan’s nephew will be training the Clare footballers next year, supposedly held in very high regard in Dublin gaa

Mick Bohan? Bit of a headcase. Brilliant as a coach/trainer not so much as a manager. Will he be slotting in under Podge Collins oul lad?

He is but he’s long since accepted as a Town man at this stage. When they chose his side over a Portlaoise stock as Parkinson that’s all you need to know.