GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Lee Keegan couldnt make the players meeting that voted to oust the current management, but he went out of his way to ensure his vote in favour of the two boys was counted. Keegan always struck me as a fella with his head well screwed on. Either way, hes a serious senior player to go against the rest.

Doesnt matter now anyway. This is like watching Limerick 2010 all over again.
My money is on Horan again, if he wants the gig.

Parkinson let his feelings known on otb last night

He didn’t have to, everyone already knows what he thinks of the clareman.

Dont know enough about it to comment one way or another. Just noting he was not pleased last night

They have history, bad history. He’s not wrong though.

Fair play to Keegan on that one.

Isn’t part of the issue for the players that they wanted to move to “the next level” after Horan, that they felt they had gone as far as possible with him and that tactically he wasn’t the answer?

It’s hard to see Horan going back there. He brought them to the well a few times and they didn’t drink. What are the other options? Besides that fool McStay.

Maguire is decent, not that you’ve ever seen him play.

I have and he’s average.

When did you see him play.

Most of Dublin hurling backroom staff seem to be going.

:smirk:

Mayo and Sligo last year.

Strange that a Cork player was playing for either of those counties last year.

He was playing against them, mate.

Ya that and moran are significant votes.

This looks like it will wound them for a while. Although generally people over play this and players just get on with it.

Stephan Rochford is an unbackable favourite. He certainly seems up to it. Corofin are one of the best coached sides i ever saw.

I would suggest the players would probably not have made this move if James Horan hadn’t intimated to them that he was willing to take the job again.

Rochford would be acceptable to them but Horan is clearly the man the players want.

Why?

The two boys need to step out of the way now. There is no good way for this to end for them, and given they were unpopular from the start, were foisted into the role, they should cut their losses and walk away.

The players will get over this easily enough once a respectable candidate gets the role now. They should learn from previous counties experiences and not go down that sad old route of both sides digging in. I can see it from both sides, the management want a chance to do it their way, and the players realise they’ve been on the road for some time now and see their window starting to close. At the end of the day though, you can replace the manager, you can’t easily replace the players.

2 Likes