GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

The Waterford game plan will be very straightforward :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Order bigger shorts

1 Like

James Horan has confirmed he will NOT allow his name to go forward for nomination for the Mayo senior football manager’s job.

Thats because they told him they disn’t want him, the CB. And it has become onvious the players wanted Rochford.

Did they?

Has it?

Yes.

He would have pulled out immediately otherwise.

Why wait till now.

One could form that opinion on i) from reading between the lines but you have no knowledge whatsoever on ii). Pretty much nobody in Mayo does, and you certainly don’t, although what I’ve heard* is that the players would prefer Horan, but Rochford is acceptable.

I would be of the mind that the players are hardly jumping through hoops at the prospect of a manager who could be double-jobbing until March 17th.

Speculation that if Rochford takes over Tony McEntee will be involved in some form. McEntee has done a shit job with St. Brigid’s in Dublin over the last two years.

*means nothing

I would think its fairly obvious the CB put the blocks on him.
Tye other thing is there seems to be some very independant voices within that camp like Keegan going on recent events. Its very believable that some of them would believe it to be a backward step.

Why was McEntee shit?

McEntee apparently criticised the Mayo players for how they handled the ousting of the previous management team in an article recently.

Would be a great sign of them if they accepted him in so.

@Sidney - you seem to be avoiding the question on McEntee

Sorry, mate, I wasn’t avoiding it.

They were beaten out the gate by Jude’s, who were then beaten out the gate by Na Fianna.

Bringing in a high-profile outsider such as McEntee and the cash outlay to go with it demands good results for it to be deemed as a success, especially for a team who won a county title two years before his appointment. The results have been shit.

Don’t really get the aura around McEntee. Winning a club AI with Cross is nothing special.

Eamonn Burns to take the Down job. That’s the Down Eamonn Burns by the way.

Ah the fella funding Brigid’s has pucks of cash, they don’t need to stress any cash outlay. But you’re right, McEntee has been a failure given the talent there. Time to go back to the other McEntee.

Ya they have. Does not mean he is a shit manager though. He may well be, and maybe he is a better no.2. But results cannot solely be the judgement of anyone.
There is a million things that could be happening to hold them back.
He may not be a great fit there and sometimes philosophies are too far apart to work.

Players pining for old management can be an issue coming into an already successful team.

Jesus.

What a muppet you are.

Huh?

1 Like

Who has Burns been managing up to now?

Had a spell with Mayobridge, not sure outside of that.

Easy all irelands.

Explains your knowledge right there.