GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

I’ve found hurling more enjoyable.

No

Very good, and honest.

Everyone has a place. Especially important to have someone who can have a laugh and take the sting out of things. Good cop/bad cop is needed.

For what its worth, my most successful coaching ended up with no trophies. Sometimes its about other things.

I’ve found Football much more rewarding, pal.

With the right training you can turn a very average lad into an effective club footballer. Doing likewise with a Hurler is a 100 times more difficult.

I’ll take that from you as yes I am full of it

Clive Woodward said the same. The logistics on the 2005 British Loins tour worked tremendously efficiently and banished any memories of the thrashings they took on the pitch.

1 Like

Club Gaelic football is very like international rugby in that regard.

3 Likes

Much prefer football generally. Mind you I have never been the trainer or main man in hurling. Hurling is quite porrly coached in the vast majority of my experiences. Bar one notable one.

Hurling coaching is nearly always over by the time you get an adult player. Football is similar, but at least you can make him fit.

My issue with football is its no longer as entertaining to be involved with as it once was. Perhaps I’m old fashioned, but the black card, mouthguards, spoiling play, poor refereeing (somewhat as a result of the black card) just has combined to leave it a sport I can take or leave. I may go back to getting involved, but at the moment go games is as far as I’m willing to go with football management. Hurling, while of course reofrmed tactics wise from my time playing, still has a bit of that grip it and rip it mentality and less shiteacting on both the playing and refereeing side. A possibly simplistic view, but again, where I’m currently at.

Yes

Have no coaching training. General organiser of training, physio needs & challenge matches.

Have been a selector for 5 years with various teams from underage to adult.

Very lucky to have been involved in 5 teams which won silverware.

Was a very average player & gave it up at the age of 30.

Heavily involved in admin within the club also.

1 Like

Was that so fucking hard

go on

you are largely right really.

I find the IC scenes to oppose the club scene.

IC Football is way better than hurling at the moment, however club hurling is way better than football generally (although a few clubs in recent years like Cross, Crokes, Vincents etc play excellent football)

Football has more bluffers

Yes. Typing on this cunt of a phone is a dose.

I would have thought my credentials were pretty well known. Yours seem common knowledge.

It’s a lot harder bottle up the flow in hurling, club in particular, given the speed of the game although those Waterford cunts will be giving everyone notions now.
Football is gone very boring. All about retention of possession rather than doing anything with the ball. Very few lads capable of actually kicking the ball over the bar now at club level.

well I don’t know who you are.

despite thinking you might, you don’t know who I am either.

Are you mental?

Score taking has improved significantly in recent years. Have a look at the Tyrone Monaghan game this year and some of the points taken outside the 45 yard line under serious pressure.

Ability to kick over the bar hasn’t lessened, it’s the ability to be able to kick over the bar under extreme pressure that is now required.

@The_Runt who did you ring that night then?

1 Like