GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Are the changes that were made to the Clare Hurling coaching and selectors yesterday, where they forced on Davy or was this something he wanted?

I said at club level though I added that after the initial post so you may have missed it.

2 Likes

Very few lads encouraged to do so even. Especially at Club level. And then at IC level (which I’d rather this not descend into given we’re referring to Club) but at IC level you have the systems developed to put the ball into the one lad who can kick a point. Yerra there’s no fucking joy in watching it at all anymore, I doubt there is in playing it either.

Interesting stats recently about u21 and senior grades.

Those who are more kicking teams or are more kick & run teams nearly always win over hand passing teams.

Tyrone kicked (might be slightly wrong with this) 69% of their ball in the 21. Way ahead of most other teams.

It makes total sense to practice the shit out of kicking. Gaelic Football playing in a kick & run fashion is good to watch and very effective. And its not that hard to coach more kicking either. I don’t get what stops people coaching it.

1 Like

The game is not as wistfully naive anymore. It requires a higher level of thought and decision making and higher skill levels.

Of course there is joy playing it. That’s just ridiculous.

Players don’t care as much as people seem to think they do.

Is this a dick measuring contest?

Have played in and then selector on a now senior team that have won 3 championships and 3 league promotions (including two titles) in last 4 years and hopefully another league title on Wednesday night and promotion to Div 1.

Also co-managed u21 and u15 championship winning teams and current manager of u16s.

From our adult team being on the treadmill (including dual players) for so long, they do not get crucified in pre-season and yes there is ‘topping up’ but the players are a well motivated bunch, similar to Cross who will do their own work to stay competitive.

2 Likes

As I said we are at crossed wires here, I agree the standard of play at intercounty has improved dramatically in the last few years, Dublin in fairness play a lovely mix of the stylish and physical. Hopefully the defensive changes that filtered down from inter county to destroy the club game will change with the times & pivot towards the new style as well. Club is I suppose 3-5 years behind intercounty on coaching styles etc.

Anyone I played with who is still going, doesn’t enjoy it as much as they did prior to all this change. I’m only going on those I’ve spoken to. The younger fellas love it, but they grew up playing it and call us auld cunts. They’re probably right. I probably did the same when I started out. But its what I’m hearing, and I’m only relaying what I’m hearing.

Not at all, leave down the guard. Its a discussion.

Fair play.

the defensive set ups are there to stop hammerings and mask failings. And will always remain there as long as the competitions are so knock out orientated. In a league system oif some sort you may see a bit more freedom.

I enjoy winning, that’s where the fun is.

I’d be of the opinion that if you just want to “enjoy the game” then you shouldn’t be playing at any where near a high level.

2 Likes

That suits down the ground in Laois so.

Agree to an extent. But only one team can win and generally only 3-4 compete.
So whats everyone else at?

I think there has to be an element of getting the best out of yourself and the team. That may not mean trophies, but alot of satisfaction.

By a mile my best work was taking a team of 16/17 year olds who only played 1 game at u16 ONE. 9 of them played for our senior team in the end. We never won anything. Lost a few finals and close ones. But looking back it was bringing them thru was way bigger. Club woukd have been relegated 5-6 years earlier otherwise. And yes, i am taking the credit as nobody wanted them.

Anyway the point of this now that we have established there are a few lads “involved” in the game here.

Do ye think its “not much of an achievement” to win an All-Ireland Senior Club?

Its all about context. Its obviously more of an achievement with the likes of St Brigids (Ros) or Galls than it is with say Crossmaglen. But both are achievements obviously. Still, McEntee’s record with Brigids (Dub) is not good looking at it from the outside.

Ya I’d agree with that, but at the end of the day playing to win must be the reason d’etre of any serious player. Any lad who’s playing just for fun or to enjoy himself is a hindrance to the team.

Obviously it shouldn’t be a hardship and even though it might not be the same obvious feeling of joy you get from other things, teams must be doing something right if lads keep coming back year after year.

Agreed. But all we know about is results.

However those results do not take away from previous wins. Some coaches go thru some horrible runs. Could be down to a multitude of things. Usually a lack of desire and/or talent. Often when big names come in the players start thinking the manager will win it for them.

I didn’t say it was not much of an achievement, I said it was not a remarkable achievement to lead one of the best clubs in the country who have everything at their disposal to win an All Ireland.

McEntee has garnered a big reputation due to the job he did at Cross but I don’t feel it was anything spectacular. It would be spectacular if he brought a club from nowhere to that level.

Disagree. Now i’m coming from a small club mentality generally where you have to look after most lads. It is very different at big clubs. However some lads just do enjoy it and lack a bit of ambition, but often thats why they play well.

Good players can be lost be too much pressure being put on. Others are only there cos their friends are, but they can still be good.

Might suggest winning at small clubs or even Junior and Intermediate takes more craft than Senior.