GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Brigids would be a big club, if not bigger than Cross, in terms of resources. They were able to attract a number of outside inter county players (eg Emlyn Mulligan - Leitrim, Martin O’Reilly - Donegal) to add to their championship and Div 1 league winning team that McEntee then had at his disposal yet they still performed miserably.

His fellow county man Justin McNulty also made a hames of the team a few years previous but still managed to fool some county boards into hiring him so maybe this is the route McEntee will take.

#protectthehoneypot

McNulty did a reasonably good job with Laois.

True, just couldn’t expand on the strong defensive system put in place. After a while, the players and the fans got tired of it. All well and good setting it up, but as McGuinness showed, you need to build on it thereafter. The game vs Donegal in Páirc Seán Mac Diarmada really was the nadir. Saying that they could nearly have had Dublin (albeit on a bad Dublin day) only for an unfortunate John O Loughlin deflection.

#protectthehoneypot

You have to stoop to conquer.

He definitely stooped, stooped down low.

I forgot to mention he was a joyless sort of fucker.

I believe you may have missed the political pun in my post.

Mcguinness has far better tools to work with in fairness.
Laois had nothing like the forwards Donegal had. And thats key. You can talk about systems all you want, but you won’t win anything without class scoring forwards.

I think the talent at Donegal is a bit under appreciated. As good a job and all that Jimbo dis.

Oh no, I got it alright, I just wanted that on the record also.

Not denying that, but McGuinness released his backs also, allied to the forwards at his disposal. Justy never did, because with Justy you had to, at all times

#protectthehoneypot

So they were regularly down more than 1 county player.

Anyway, i would reserve judgement on him, or anyone, based on one experience.

Fair enough.

The system introduces organisation.
Organisation drives commitment.
Commitment leads to winning.
Winning builds confidence.
Confidence unlocks ability.
Improved ability means the system can be refined.
A refined system leads to winning it all.

A virtuous circle.

Thats it.

Strong
Defence
Little
Penetration

Who’s there to force it on him? The chairman has already voiced his support for him, his father is the secretary and while there was a mild undercurrent of dissent looking for a review at the last Co Board meeting there wasn’t next or near anything like enough to force a change.
In fairness to Davy, he knows himself that another year like the last two won’t do, and I don’t think he wants a ruined and divisive legacy. Huge effort gone in behind the scenes fundraising in the US too.

@Smark

Sport Ireland chairman Kieran Mulvey, Sport Ireland chief executive John Treacy, NGB Grants Committee chairman Bernard Allen and High Performance Committee chairman Liam Sheedy arrive at Leinster House

4 Likes

:laughing:

Fuck me

5 Likes