GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

You’re helping to make him a better person. You should sleep well tonight.

I’m reliably informed that Ger Cunningham will be relieved of his duties by the Dublin County Board

1 Like

Daly for dublin??

Cunningham will come to Clare if Davy goes

Davy I’m told

Daly for. Dublin?

I think Clare are the team everyone will want to manage

The GAA season will not end this year. There will be so many managerial appointments/resignations/dismissals, twill keep us going till the league starts

1 Like

Lillis has walked from the Laois job. Completely not up to it. I’d imagine Woolie is laughing his arse off somewhere right now in vindication. Doubt it’ll get his suspension from Portlaoise lifted mind you.

Statement from Michael Lillis:

It is with regret that I wish to inform you that I will not be putting
myself forward for consideration as manager of Laois senior football team
for the coming season.
I wish to put on record my thanks to the following ;
The players who worked tirelessly and selflessly to improve the laois team,
The backroom team of selectors, coach, doctor, physios, stats, kit men and
caterers who worked extremely hard,
And the County Board Officials who supported me as manager of Laois.
I would like to wish the new management team every success in tackling the
issues that pertain in Laois football.
Yours Sincerely,
Michael Lillis

Statement from Laois GAA

Laois GAA would like to thank Mick and his backroom team for their huge commitment and dedication to Laois football over the last year and wish them the very best in the future. The County Board Executive will be meeting in the next few days to put a process in place to select a new team manager.

A tad cuntish. Could he have not just let that comment slide.

Why?
To be the good little irish boy the CB want him to be (or whoever he is having a dig at).

Fuck that. That is the exact reason the GAA is dying.

1 Like

His record with that County is far more damning, Kev.

A cheap excuse is what it is.

Maybe because of reasons beyond his control.

There seemed to be issues when he got in and players were jaded from the greatest bluffer ever in McNulty.

This goes back to people expecting miracles and short term solutions. Like Cork on the hurling, they make terrible devisions on management and then take no responsibility.

Its nonsense. Maybe he got some expenses but many of these lads give up a huge amount to do this and the nonsense they have to deal with is just unbelievable.

I have a feeling this thread is going to be busy between now and October

I wondered would that be picked up on.

No Lillis plainly wasn’t up to it, as I’ve said on here before his post match interviews were the greatest window into how ill equipped he was for the job. Obviously there’s issues in Laois, but he can’t blame them for this.

Smacks of passing the buck, nothing else.

Fair play to him for walking, I wasn’t sure he would.

The players now need to look at themselves. While the set up was chronic (actually nothing like the one he promised or with the personnel he claimed to have tied up) their performances can’t be glossed over either. The lack of leadership in that team these past 2 years at the least has been unacceptable.

I wonder does Cunningham want the job? I wonder the Co Board have the funds to give it to him. Quite frankly the reason Lillis and TOF got the job the past two times was because they were cheap. They paid pittance and it showed. I presume Cunninghams set up wouldn’t come cheap.

Laois are perfect for John Evans…

:joy:

1 Like