GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Shanahan was on radio during week saying he would consider his position at end of this year. Huge commitment with work etc. McGrath is a teacher isn’t he. Does he have young kids?

Ah yeah. Plenty coming through.

Moran got horsed out of it in the second half yesterday which hurt ye. Bar himself & Brick ye last lack experience & it’s doubtful Brick will stick around either. Could be 3/4 years before ye are ready imo. Key now is keep the group together & add a few every year.

Would he be a loss in fairness?

And, that was a typical mealy mouthed GAA interview which is all too typical. I can’t see Dan the Man Leaving unless pushed.

McGrath needs to stay and one would expect him to. He’s a teacher ffs.

So more nonsense.

Brick could gave win himself an All Dtar between the 2 semi final performances. Absolutely no reason to think he would walk. He is a committed athlete and lives it, much like Tony Browne.

You still have not provided a link to him saying he was considering stepping down.

A teacher yes with a young family, inter county management is nearly a full time job in itself, it’s a huge commitment and sacrifice for somebody to give over 3/4 years

That’s why Cody is in the perfect position to keep on going if he wants to

I’d like to see Brick stay too, he’s a fitness fanatic and tee totaller but he does have a career, a wife and 3/4 young kids to think of too - would be a pity to se him retire without an AI after everything he has given

1 Like

I’d say it will depend on what McGrath decides.

1 Like

Colm Bonnar taking over Carlow.

Sean Boylan must have the record for longest serving inter county manager, he did 23 years as manager.

Cody would equal that record in 2021.

Johnno back to Leitrim :eek:

Cc @thedancingbaby
Cc @Massey
Cc @anon67715551

I was in Mohill yesterday and was told Seamus Quinn and Benny Guckian were getting the job and they would be appointed before the championship quarter finals.

Where did you hear this Blue ?

Hogan Stand had a headline, let me check.

Ah, reads part of the Management team when you go into it

John O’Mahony could be poised for a surprise return to inter-county management as part of a coaching team to take charge of Leitrim for 2017.

O’Mahony, who guided Leitrim to their first Connacht title in 67 years in 1994, has been lined up as part of a management team headed up by two members of that side, Seamus Quinn and Benny Guckian.

And another member of that historic side, goalkeeper Martin McHugh, is also keen to have the former Mayo, Leitrim and Galway manager involved on his team if he is appointed.

O’Mahony has ruled out going for the team manager job but has indicated a willingness to get involved on an advisory basis, especially if any member of the ’94 squad take charge.

Another member of that famous squad, Aidan Rooney, is also in the running to take over from Shane Ward, with interviews of candidates having started on Monday evening.

The joint ticket of Quinn and Guckian — which also includes former Mayo footballer Michael Moyles — is the front-runner to get the job, but McHugh and Rooney have enjoyed success at a number of levels and are also well regarded.

Ah right.

Lousy of you not to cc @farmerinthecity

Sure I’m not even from Leitrim :wink:

3 Likes

Is he?

Cheers mate.

Happy with that. Wasn’t Benny involved with the minors previously?

@Massey
@farmerinthecity
@thedancingbaby
@anon67715551

Ye may not take this seriously, but i am.
Would you be completely against having a combined team of say yourselves, Longford and Rosscommon or even just Longford. Just for competing on a Sam McGuire level?

The gaps are widening. A team in Leitrim is becoming less and less logical. The money, the gap in standard etc is just too big and getting bigger.

Ye might say its easy to say being from a big county but i personally would love a big competitive All Ireland. With some form of league system and then 1/4 finals or play offs. But i don’t see why some guy with drive and talent from a particular part of the island (luck) should not get the chance someone from Cork, Kerry or Dublin has. There is no reason for it. But Leitrim in the new era will not give this chap his chance.

Its either a B championship in our traditional way or a more condensed overall championship/competition with maybe 16 or 20 teams.

Historically thats a hard thing to square with i understand. But for my money (and i know ye will argue this) there is not a whole pile of difference in outlook and temperment of the people of Longford, Rosscommon and Leitrim for example. Same with Waterford and Wexford for instance (cue ridiculous statements from Wexford posters).

I just think people need to get real. Dublin will be Dublin. The will and financial clout of Galway, Tipp, Kerry, Tyrone, Donegal Cork and a few more will.mean they are here to stay. But what about everyone else?

Its not working now anyway.

I will come back to this in detail but in summary, you’re correct in terms of it not working.

I don’t know if amalgamation is the answer and is bound to meet with huge opposition.

For me the only answer is to scrap the provincial championships, or not have them as part of the All Ireland series.

Leitrim need games, and loads of them, 2 a year in the Championship just doesn’t cut it.

2 Likes

There was a time kev when I would have told someone who proposed that to fuck right off,but getting well beat for the last few years has softened my stance as they bigger teams keep getting better while everyone else goes backwards.Amalgamation is probably the only way forward for us I’m afraid unless a B championship is introduced and we were happy enough to play/compete in it.

1 Like

I much rather play in a B championship than amalgamate btw

1 Like