GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

No, thats a joke. 9 competitive games in a year. Probably starting weight programs (so pre-season) in next few weeks or at least after club games.

Its just you’ll not find a passion to beat Rosscommon or Leitrim people for Football, they always seem to have an incredible knowledge of the game and other counties etc, maybe due to the starvation of it themselves, i don’t know. I think that and other areas are startling losses in the possible promotion of the games.

Thats the point, its become pointless as of now. The hunger cannot be there from the toung lads.

There’s plenty of knowledgeable football people in every county kev,but with the bigger more successful counties you get a lot more spoofers/bandwagon type crowd,Tyrone and Armagh were a prime example,the amount of cunts I worked with in the 00’s in NY from these counties who knew nothing about football but thought they knew everything was unreal,ask some of them something about a game back in the 90’s or earlier and they hadn’t a clue (there were plenty of genuine supporters as well to be fair before Nembo pipes up)

Ya its just a trend i noticed over the years meeting Leitrim men and working with them in US & Oz in particular. It may be completely coincidental, but it was a trend.

Anyway, championship suck in general and we need more battles like last sunday.

We’ve lost plenty of good young footballers to Oz and the US in the last few years alright

If you were a young, fit, Leitrim man, you must have a seriously high chance of being an intercounty footballer.

Leitrim has 20,000 people in the 15-64 age bracket. Lets say half are women and 2/3 of the balance are too young/too old, you’d have about 3,300 people left to pick from.
Presumably another two third’s are fat, don’t like sports or whatever so you’ve like 1,100 people to pick from (going well). It’s some ask to be anyway competitive with that.
Nevermind the Dublin super clubs, I’d say Na Piarsigh, Monaleen & Mungret in Limerick wouldn’t be far off that in playing pools.

Oh absolutely. They definitely are smaller than some clubs.

Largest population for a club to draw from? Hard to define boundaries in Dublin but Crokes etc, would have massive populations.
Outside cities Portlaoise must be up there? 20k+.
Obviously pick means very little unless used properly but still, the county board should intervene in a situation like Portlaoise, bad for the county to have it so skewed.

agree with that but GGA is the 5th most popular sport in Oireland so out of that 1100 60 very few would be into GGA

looking at the website there are 12 teams playing senior, 12 playing intermediate and 12 playing junior

if you exclude Junior ad intermediate thats about 240 players potentially able to play for their county

I’m nodding along in agreement with you here mate

Then exclude the 1 lad from each club who could have been “the best ever” if he wasn’t so fond of the drink

2 Likes

yep, thats down to 204 now

i assume a few of the players are guys from outside of Leitrim who work in organic farming in Leitrim so play for a club there . its now down to 100

id say another 90 dont want to commit to the “professional training” so its now down to 10

fair whack to them being competitive when they are short 5 players for every game

2 Likes

Not to mention the fact that as a county with large exposure to waterways their lives are in the hands of the RNLI. It’s a wonder there’s anyone left at all.

2 Likes

Then throw in the requirement to train like maniacs for 9 months just to be able to physically stay with other teams for 70 minutes only to get hammered.

You’ve taken out three of our top players already.

I tell ya - there are so many massive issues facing the GAA and its impact on rural Ireland. The focus on black cards and the likes would really frustrate you.

Smaller counties under the current structure will find it near impossible to catch the big teams out now. At least in straight knock out there was a slim chance of progressing by catching a team on the hop or another less fancied team doing the job for you.

In saying all that, amalgamation for Leitrim would be a massive no no surely considering the money spent of that Centre of Excellence.

Douglas in Cork have a massive population. Wouldn’t have huge pick from them right now maybe as lot of tenants living there and playing with other/home clubs but that will change over time.

I’d say guts of 30 k living with Douglas address. Some in Nemos catchment alright.

Carrigaline too

Thought i heard NaP was biggest in Ireland, cannot rememver when or by who

No we’re just the best :sunglasses:

Sure every county has a CoE now Harry, id say if two counties amalgamated and done fairly well the rest would follow like sheep,sligo/leitrim carlow/laois Longford/Wmeath louth/meath kildare/wicklow clare/limerick to name but a few

2 Likes

Cold day in hell maybe