GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Odd to say, but they’re all moved on at this stage. From the 2003 team, only Pauric Clancy and Ross Munnelly remain and they both would be staunch Dwyer men, Ross especially. There’d be a few other lads around near the end, but not too many that had issues with Micko, the average age of the panel now is about 24 or 25.

Not sure we could afford Micko’s espenses at present either for that matter.

Thursday, 22 July 2010 07:48
Joe Kernan will make a decision next week whether to stay on for a second season as manager of the Galway senior football side.

The former Armagh supremo is expected to sit down with the county board to hear their views, but he has intimated that would be willing to remain in the hot seat for the 2011 season.

Speaking to the Irish Independent, Kernan said: 'I’d like to stay on if everything is right and we’ll go ahead with it again, because I don’t think the last six months gave us a true picture of what has happened here in the last nine years since Galway last won the All-Ireland.

'If we are staying we’ll have to do some better preparation, but I can say nothing until I sit down with the County Board and see what they feel. I know what the players feel - they are mad to go at it again.

‘I’ll probably have a chat next week sometime with my back-room team, but I’ll meet the County Board first.’

Injuries to key players like Padraic Joyce and Michael Meehan disrupted Galway’s season, as they just managed to stave off relegation from Division 1 of the League. In the championship, defeats to Sligo in the Connacht championship and to Wexford in the qualifiers brought an earlier than expected end to the summer campaign for the Tribesmen.

Joe wants to stay but they will find it hard to justify forking out those kind of bucks again this year after the disaster just gone.

Seamus Mceneaney is being linked with the laois job i see

Think Kev had the inside line on this issue a few weeks back…

Ner a hope I’d say. Hearts in Monaghan.

Darragh was interviewed last week, believe he wanted that Buckley lad to be part of his team. Decided against it in the end. An odd situation really. Think he got spooked. Wouldnt blame him.

Expect Skinny Roe to get the job.

Kernan’s Galway reign to end

JOE Kernan’s brief reign as Galway football manager is likely to end this evening. It is believed Kernan has issued a letter of resignation but this could not be confirmed yesterday.

Kernan was unavailable for comment and a brief statement from Galway Football Board said the matter would be raised this evening.

“At our last meeting we gave an undertaking to the clubs that we were going to review the situation with the manager. We have done that and we will be reporting back tomorrow night at our meeting with the clubs,” said the statement yesterday.

The meeting of Galway Football Board this evening in Loughgeorge will deal with the issue after which the search is likely to begin for Galway’s fourth manager since 2007.

Sligo boss and former double Galway All-Ireland winner Kevin Walsh is likely to be installed as the firm favourite to take over.

Well from what I know Aer Arann are pulling the plug on sponsoring Galway and part of the sponsorship package was flying Big Joe down from Dublin for training, so without the short plane ride as part of the package I’d say the thoughts of a cross country jaunt to Galway became less appealing.

The loss of the aer arann deal also means that Galway might not be able to afford his expenses and backroom costs (in the region of 250k).

Leitrim county board met last night presumably re Moran and Morrison. Will report as soon as I hear.

been confirmed that Joe has gone. You would have thought that was a 2 year job at least there, but money talks and it ran out. Come on down Kevin Walsh.

hard to know if walsh will move on, theres nearly more talent in sligo at present than in galway.

Morrison has resigned from Leitrim but Moran is staying on.

Morrison wants to pursue other aspects of coaching apparently - what they are I have no idea

Achieving a victory perhaps?

He works in Queens in Belfast. The definition of a spoofer. Horrible man.

Does that mean he wants to stay on or he has already been given the job to stay on?

Queen’s is a very good university.

Morrisson being linked with Laois. Get up the yard…

Nail on the head.
Thank you Joe but good bye and good luck.
Walsh is nailed on for the gig gents.

He has been given the job to stay on.

Peter Canavan allegedly has his hat in the ring for the Mayo job