GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Nordies will never accept the attitude out west, big mistake.

Former Dublin boss Paul Caffrey is the latest name to be linked with the vacant post of Cavan senior manager.

However, sources within the Breffni county insist they will not be rushed into appointing Tommy Carr’s successor. Caffrey, who has relations in Cavan, managed the Dubs to four successive Leinster titles between 2005 and 2008, but he has said in the past that he wouldn’t manage anyone other than his native county.

Other names linked with the vacancy are former Down manager Pete McGrath and Terry Hyland, who this year led the Cavan U-21 and junior sides to provincial success.

Cavan County Board chairman Tom Reilly has said that a manager will be in place before the conclusion of the senior club championship which is currently at the quarter-final stage.

Fook off mbb

Joyce turns down Laois

12 August 2010

Padraic Joyce has rebuffed attempts by Laois to lure him to the midlands.

The veteran Galway attacker, who could continue on playing next year, is understood to have spoken to Laois officials in recent days about the possibility of him succeeding Sean Dempsey as senior football manager.

He is the latest high-profile name to have turned down the O’Moore County. Seamus McEnaney, who has committed to Monaghan for three more years, and former Kerry midfielder Darragh O Se were also approached.

Pat Roe, who has been nominated for the position along with Mick O’Dwyer and Ollie Phelan, this week criticised the Laois county board for stalling on the appointment of a new manager.

Tis just a bit of fishing laz, shur the job is Skinnys.

I’ve heard talk of a player/selector type role for Joyce next year under Walsh which sounds intriguing but fairly stupid too at least on the surface. A fella should really just be one or the other.Anyone know of something like this working effectively before.

Brian Talty also linked with Galway job but someone invariably throws his name into the mix every time the vacancy comes up and it’s never gonna happen, the job is Walsh’s

Yea ye had the trouble there before with Ja being a selector and then coming back as a player. Needs to be more distance between playing and getting back involved.

This would have been an exclusive had I been able to get on earlier today, but its getting out there now. Anyway, Justin McNulty is the new Laois Football Manager.

Will he be commanding much ‘expenses’? he will probably try stamp the armagh way all over laois ala mcgeeney with kildare

What managerial/coaching experience does he have, if any? Strange appointment on the face of it.

Thought you would have known Justins experience Sid?

I;m sure thats what Justin will do Declan, still, its better than Morrison. He’ll need to bring Enda with him to sort out some of those lads heads.

I’ve heard alot of good things about Justin, he is top notch from what i heard. He’s a sports psychologist himself, and a very good one at that.

Good appointment for laois, he’ll get the best out of them. Pat Roe must be one hell of a pissed off man.

I know sports psychology has it’s place and all that but I don’t know if it really makes much difference. Armagh used to go in for it a lot with their wristbands and satanic circles and triangles and I don’t think it helped them at all. To me all that stuff says is that you don’t really believe in your ability to win without the assistance of these bullshit psychological crutches. I didn’t know Justin was a psychologist but his brother tends to bore me any time he’s on radio and he’s on a good bit.

Talk about psychology all you want but for me the McNultys will both be remembered for one thing - appalling mistakes at the most crucial point of Armagh’s biggest match of the year ('01 and '06) which without question cost them those matches and possibly an All-Ireland in both years.

I was at the '06 game, don’t think they were eve going to win it to be honest. Don’t remember the incident myself that your on about.

But your kinda dealing with the point of sports psychology there yourself, it is mostly about telling the athlete that he’s good enough for it, and some people need that sid, no matter what you what way you degrade it, it has worked wonders for several teams and individuals. Armagh as you mentioned, Cork hurlers in '04, Padraig Harrington and more recently Kildare. Kildare have a steel this year that i’ve never seen in them before. People trained in this can see the problems in teams and individuals that sometimes a manager misses. Now maybe thats poor management it could be argued.

I think its quite noticeable that Conor Counihan has a similar attitude to yourself, and refused to bring someone like that in. Of any sports team in the country that needs it, its the Cork footballers. One of the best guys around is a colleague of McNulty and from Cork, he’d have been perfect.

Its not for everybody, i accept that, and you have to buy into it. But with teams being far more even these days due to fitness levels etc, then i think it can definitely play a part. I think its obvious it can help individual sports.

But if he can change the mind set of the Laois footballers, which is notoriously poor, then he’ll have jumped a massive hurdle with them.

Fair enough, every individual is different, it has it’s place and all that as I said.

In the Armagh v Kerry match in '06 Armagh that I was talking about had come from about 5 or 6 down I think to get back to two down with about 10 minutes left and the comeback was on. McNulty handpassed the ball right to the onrushing Darren O’Sullivan who blasted to the net. That moment was the end of that Armagh team.

I would have siaid that was merely the final nail, Star was the end.

Ya, Donaghys destroying of Francie was the real problem.

Kevin Walsh commits to another year in Sligo.

The sound of teeth grinding you hear is Lazarus and KIB.

Where did kib expect him to go? Villa?

KIB supports Galway football. I thought this was well known?

:clap: