GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Tommy Carr for the Galway job. He might think that he can toughen them up. He would be wrong. Hilarity would ensue and Tommy could then move on to destroy another team.

Liam Hayes

Can’t imagine the purists in the wesht going for that.

Justin McNulty ratified in Laois.

Darragh O’Se
Padraig Joyce

and finally Justin McNulty. Laois CB seem to have misinterpreted the phrase “no experience required”

They set out to get a young hungry recently retired All Ireland winner who would be interested in building a side to his liking. Ordinarily I would be first in line to criticise the Laois Board but not on this occasion. As for the Joyce Darragh rumours, thats all they were for all we know. Paper talk, nothing was ever confirmed by any parties. My only worry will be what he costs and how much of Activ8 he will bring with him. Still, its better than a bluffer like kearns or Morrison.

But will he be given time to build a side to his liking?
You can’t mould a new team and style over the course of a season, it takes a couple of years solid foundation work. Will the Laois CB give him the space to do that?

Thats the big question Runt, I’d think they will to be honest, they gave Dempsey and Kearns 2 years each when 1 was enough to know they were going nowhere so they do give a benefit of doubt. I believe Justin laid out his stall from the off so I imagine there will be no knee jerk reactions. My only worry is cost and players openness to what he brings. That’ll be the stumbling blocks.

It could work the other way too, if they don’t see what they term to be “progress” after 1, will they be willing to go into year 2, after being badly burnt when giving the last two managers a second year?
That said he could be the best thing to ever happen Laois football, but again it could be 3/4 years down the line before it comes to fruition.

Hard to know Runt, time will tell I suppose. Its really up to the players though, they will have to buy into it, if they don’t then they might as well give the job to me for nothing because bringing in someone like Justin will be just a case of wasting money. Then they can happily go about the business of pissing away whatever talent they had.

He’s no fool. Galway football is in rag order. Joyce will retire now. Hanley’s and Bradshaw’s performance levels have flatlined to a mediocre enough level.
Armstrong and N Joyce are only good when it suits them. Kieran Fitzgerald and Mattie Clancy are past their best. Bergin was never much good to be honest and Paul Conroy seems to lack the edge to become a top player. Take Meehan out of the side and you have a team going no where fast which is precisely where they ended up after his forced absence this year.
It’s back to the drawing board in earnest for Galway. The minors may yet give us cause to smile this year but otherwise talk to anyone in Galway re football and opinion and expectation is very low.

Fitzgerald and Mattie Clancy were always average enough if you ask me.

That job is there for Walsh whenever he wants it unless he completely fucks up with Sligo.

is he hated within the county or what? been passed up now, 3 times is it? sickening for him. he’ll never get it on the back of some of the choices they have made. is there more to it or what?

You may be right. Alongside Bergin they were part of the 2nd wave of emerging talent that helped propel us to glory in 01 and the future looked bright indeed. They’ve all been decidedly average since then however.

Looks like it’s all over for Banty in Monaghan.

I’d have a lot of time for Skinny, but he’s a straight man and has made enemies in Laois GAA, which is a crying shame because the precious cunts could have done with someone like him at time over the past 4 years. He’ll most likely never get it now, but credit the man, he never stopped looking for it and feeling he could do a job. I hope he gets involved in some way shape or form, selector, but I doubt he’s willing to put himself in for that.

This makes sense as Limerick/Laois would be about the level Galway Football is at right now

Kearns new frontrunner for Galway job

Former Limerick and Laois football manager Liam Kearns has emerged as the new favourite to succeed Joe Kernan in the Galway hot-seat.

It follows the decision by Kevin Walsh to remain with Sligo for another two years earlier this week. Local bookmakers Mulhollands, which is the family business of former Galway footballer and 2007 All-Ireland minor winning manager Alan Mulholland, has installed Kearns as the 2/1 favourite to fill the vacancy in the West.

The Tralee native, who led Limerick and Laois to provincial final appearances in the past decade, could also be interested in the Kerry job if Jack O’Connor decides to step down.

Another possible candidate is former Westmeath boss Tomas O Flatharta, who was beaten by Kernan for the position this time last year.

Kearns :lol:

How have Galway u21s and minors been fairing (I should probably know this)?

Surely Jarleths in Tuam must be producing a few geniuses?

Excellent U-21 team about 5 years ago, Meehan and Armstrong came from it. Excellent Minor team 2-3 years ago, Paul Conroys vintage. Decent but not spectacular team this year, who got a handyish draw to get to semi final. I expect Cork to beat them in it.

Not enough from Conroys age it seems actually coming through. Club football has dipped a fair bit too according to my “sources” in Galway. :smiley: