GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

I think you answered your own question there, Kev

1 Like

Maurice Fitz a Kerry selector now .

The Return of the King.

Bennettbridge and Kilmoyley’s Christy Walsh the new Laois Minor Hurling Manager

CC @Midshipman_Asha

In only one of those posts was he a selector. He was the manager in the other three.

If you could write more lines like this you’d be a top poster, mate.

Did he not do two years with the camogie team?
He walked from senior hurlers as he said training wasn’t intense enough.
21s he only got for one year and took it on when no one else wanted it (young team, not a great crop, playing the all conquering Clare team in the first round)
@anon32894817 will give you the scoop on the well.

One thing that does stand out is that I’ve never heard a player that played under him have anything but good things to say about him.

2 Likes

Wasn’t Carey over the Limerick under 21s in 2007 or 2008 when they ran a decent Tipp side close?

Not saying he’s a bad manager but he has a history of walking out on teams.

I wonder would the Kerry lads agree?

Like how he walked out of the Clare forward line back in 1996, hon Carey bai!

2 Likes

It was a shame he missed the AIF after, he surely would have propelled them over the line against Wexford

1 Like

Hon Carey bai!

When you list them like that it looks like it, but I think that overlooks the context. It seems like he wasn’t looked for to stay on with the 21s and I think he did a fair stint with the camogie and left things in better shape than he found them. I think I recall the limerick seniors making noises about training being upped after he left so maybe that vindicated him a bit, but also maybe he should have been able to influence change without leaving.

I would still welcome him as limerick manager.

Incorrect

In 2008 he had Limerick 21s flying it and playing some super stuff, they beat Waterford and lost to a very strong Tipp team by 1 point in Munster Semi. The players loved Hurling under him.

In 2014 he had an average crop to deal with and drew the 3-in-a-row Clare team in 1st Round. Clare were simply far better, I would not say they were ‘terrible’ though. He placed Kevin O’brien in on Jack Browne and he caused him all sorts of bother. Limerick just didn’t have the players to match that Claire side.

They were thrown to the wolves that day, got eaten alive around the middle of the field and whoever was center back looked like he was lost at sea, Byrnes maybe? Letting your midfielders go man to man against *Galvin and Kelly with no help and leaving your halfback line exposed to that degree is terrible management in my book.

*I know Enright also played midfield that day

Yera fuck it they could have played 5 sweepers to try and limit damage and it wouldn’t have been any better.

1 Like

Rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic. Clare were simply better. Byrnes had a poor game that day alright but hasn’t turned out too bad since

:popcorn:

:rollseyes:
All he had to do was something that would help instead of ensuring they were soundly beaten before the ball was thrown in. He is a dinosaur

1 Like