GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

He’s not the first. Chuck managed the Village.

As did Patsy Fanning

Chuck is managing another Kilkenny club now, Ferrybank.

never mind

Dead right. KK championship is a level aging field now with an average standard. I’d expect BB to challenge in the next few years. OLG seem to be doing great thing underage also.

Rumours of more disharmony in the Dublin hurling camp. Expect Cunningham to be gone by the end of next week if not sooner.

1 Like

It’s not ‘more’ disharmony

Giving this my now annual bump.

3 Likes

Jonny Magee has RESIGNED as Wicklow manager.

Dublin doesn’t have a very good record of exporting managers.

Still, teachers rarely have much success with remedial Maths students, either.

Serious bluffer

That was a great shout Fagan. How did you know?

Pat Flanagan sacked by Offaly County Board. He wanted another year.

Harsh I think.

Offaly are a lost cause

Derry “accepting nominations” for a manager.

Any opinions as to possible contenders, @Nembo_Kid?

Would Mickey Moran come back for one last shot at it?

I thought Damien Barton might have got another year.

Are there any other members of the 1993 team involved in coaching? Tohill etc.?

I think Tohill was already involved in Barton’s backroom team with Tony Scullion.

Tohill was not officially involved as far as I know. Barton talked about using him as an adviser in an informal capacity when he took over but he wasn’t a selector or anything.

Unless Derry have a good idea who’ll be taking over I think they would have been best off leaving Barton in situ. He’s always struck me as a very smart individual with an ability to learn from mistakes and Derry have put in some performances in the qualifiers over the last couple of years that leads one to think they mightn’t be that far away from re-establishing themselves as a top 8 team at least. Their raw material doesn’t appear to be that different to Donegal’s circa 2010 in terms of talent.

But if Tohill took over he’d immediately have the respect of the players and perhaps Derry need such a totemic figure to get all their best players involved.

Surprised that they got rid of Barton. Little or no speculation so far on replacements. To be fair they could probably do with someone from outside of the county given the issues that they’ve had with getting players to commit to the cause. Agree on Tohill commanding instant respect if he comes in though.

Has he managed a side other than the International Rules Squad?

Harsh on Pat Flanagan really.

Minor manager McElrain will be a likely candidate. Looking good for another Ulster minor this year.

I agree on Barton by the way.

Think he did a relatively decent job. Two poor league campaigns and comprehensive beatings by Tyrone were made up for by some battling displays in the qualifiers, particularly when they have had to contend with so many withdrawals.

Unlike most counties, clubs rule the roost in Derry. They have lots of good players and are doing some great things at underage level right now.

Harsh enough on Barton, if they could tempt Tohill, it would be an excellent appointment. I think they may go with McElrain though and his record is impressive with the minors.