GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Val Andrews is said to be going back to Cavan. Odd one that, not sure he was very well liked there last time out. Terry Hyland is going in with him as joint chief.

I wonder who’ll get the Limerick job. This is perhaps a more important appointment than the hurling role.

Shur isnt Micko in for it? :smiley:

I really hope he doesn’t get it.

Its OK, Galway or Mayo will probably take him first.

Eamon Fitzmaurice giving up the selector job in Kerry could mean something, Limerick would be a good fit for him i would imagine.

I cant see Runt , how its more important than the hurling role , unless you want hurling to die off in the county alltogether ( it allready is) ,football will always come second to hurling in Limerick , thats just the way it is .

Both roles are very important, but in the short to medium term there is much higher chance of us winning a Munster title with the footballers than the hurlers. This football team need to make the breakthrough in the next one or two years, where as hurling in the county requires open heart surgery from the U/10 to Senior, an operation that has only begun in the past two years and will take another 5 or 6 before we start to see any real fruit (if any).

The footballers need a new sports pyschologist not a manager , nearly every game they`ve played since they made the “breakthrough” goes either of 2 ways , build up a big lead & win by the skin of their teeth against lesser opposition or lose by a point or 2 against kerry , cork, etc . I could see the Hurlers winning a munster before the footballers , at least theres a tradition there & with the right man or men in charge to harness that , they could land a munster title in 2 or 3 years .

I disagree on the footballers. I’m not trying to slag anyone off now or anything, but Limerick are just not good enough at the moment, well at least their forwards are not good enough. I don’t believe it has much to do with their heads at all. They have a good defense, a superb midfield and one, maybe two forwards.

Forwards, generally, are what divides Gaelic football teams, if you took Collins out Limerick are a Senior club forward line, thats the harsh reality. Kelly would make alot of teams in the country as well, but he would be the work horse, not a leading scorer.

I’d love to see it happening, but I don’t think it will.
We haven’t been competitive at underage hurling in the past 3 or 4 years, Tipperary, Clare and Waterford have all brought through super U/21 and Minor teams in those times. Granted we have a few nice hurlers coming through, but nowhere near the numbers that will be required to seriously compete in the coming few years.

There has to be some of it head related , the same pattern over & over again , they had Kerry beat in 2 Munster finals , just couldnt cross the line .

I’m with Atticus on the mental thing.
If a one team can get consistently get within a point or two of another team, year on year, then logic would dictate that you would be able to turn at least one of them into a win.

I disagree to an extent. I’m not really privy to what the Limerick teams mentality is to be honest, but i don’t think they ever blew games. They would dominate periods of games and not score enough, but i think that was just a lack of ability and poor kicking as i can’t quite remember them doing very silly stuff ala Donnacha O’ Connpor last year or Aidan Walsh this year with the crazy shooting. Even Bernard brogan on Sunday made a few terrible decisions when kicking, but would you say he’s mentally weak? I doubt it. But his kicking ability is top notch, Limerick only have Ger Collins in that sort of league. Limerick struggle to work themselves into good scoring positions as well, that could be a tactical deficiency more than anything.

Now at the same time, ye would be watching them more than i would.

How about the Munster Final against Kerry this year??
Managed to claw back a 7 point deficit and owned the ball for 5 minutes after drawing level yet couldn’t push on to go into the lead. If they could score the 1-4 needed before that, why couldn’t they go on to kick the points to go ahead?

I`d say tis kev thats mental…

The old rogue has been nominated in Mayo

Anthony Daly expected to announce shortly that he will stay on as Dublin hurling manager for one more year at least

Seamus McEnaney says he will not be seeking to stay on for a seventh year as Monaghan manager, admitting he is heartbroken

Because Kerry upped their defending. I can’t quite remember now, but there wasn’t much clear cut chances missed. Kerry went to sleep for that period could be argued as well, and when they realised they were in the shit they just upped it again, and Limerick were just not good enough footballers to deal with it.

People say it about Cork as well alot, but while there is definitely a few individuals who look mentally suspect, Cork were been beaten by Kerry because Kerry were the better footballers. Ger Spillane is one of the strongest players on the Cork panel mentally, yet he got potrayed as weak after the ‘07 final. Thing was, he just didn’t have the footballing ability to cope with Kerry at full tilt when it came to it. Derek Kavanagh the same, mentally very strong, but his actual ability got caught out. Now Alan Quike and Donnacha O’ Connor are different, they have plenty ability, but have had complete brain farts that cost Cork crucial scores from time to time.

My point is, i don’t remember these brain farts from Limerick.

Can never understand this. Whats wrong with going for interviews and having a look at alternatives. Banty has been there for 7 years, if he’s still considered the best man for the job then he’ll get it again.

I think fellas are far too sensitive when it comes to this kind of thing.