GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Mate, it was @Ambrose_McNulty who brought up James. Thomas was a hack.

1 Like

3 in a row Junior All Ireland winning Kerry manager Stephen Wallace is in line for the Offaly job

The rumour that Pat Gilroy is taking the hurling job in Dublin seems to be more than a rumour.

1 Like

Oh? With Keaney involved? Keaney was very coy about it in a recent article I read.

I didn’t hear anything about selectors. I just heard Gilroy was very close to accepting. If he gets the gig it will be interesting to see the backroom team he assembles.

1 Like

Confirmed by Offaly GAA*

*Subject to RATIFICATION

Wallace was over Tralee IT’s Sigerson Team, managed Kerry to win All-Ireland Junior titles in 2015 & 2016 (not also in 2017 as I mistakenly said earlier), while he also managed his home club Ardfert to All-Ireland Intermediate success in 2015.

Keaney was asked about this by Colm “Parky” Parkinson and if he isn’t dumb about it, he certainly played dumb.

I’d be surprised if he was involved due to Gilroy effectively dispensing with his services with the footballers in 2010.

It was between him and Banty for the Wexford job last year…

Locke, @fran any of the KK boys - is there any serious succession planning going on in Kilkenny for the day when Freddie finally departs? Or is everyone too shit scared of him or the thought of him leaving to even contemplate it?

Think the attitude is to wait until Cody calls it a day onto himself, get advice from him as to who should take over and take it from there. This has worked for others, why not KK.

:thinking:

1 Like

I’m sorry, who has this worked for?

Manchester United and the Springfield isotopes

4 Likes

I think people read too much into things like that. Alot of hard working athletes and people who are successful don’t fall out over that and accept managers decisions. Not that we get much insight into Keaney but i doubt that would be an issue.

The head Coach is the big job anyway. Thats what he needs to get right. And also S&C. Not so much technically, but head Coach and S&C need is arguably the most important relationship in County GAA.
Even more ideally Head Coach will have done the 2 year Setanta diploma or something like that, which a number of managers/coaches have done.
Its just enough for them to do and will give them a really good appreciation for integration.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

paid S&C people have destroyed the game of gaelic football. the game was not designed or ever intended to have 15 stone lumps bouncing off each other imitating rubby league but its gone that way.

2 Likes

Gaelic Football has never been better or more skillful.

Just because you canmot figure it out does not mean the game is broken

Is this the end of Donegal as a force?

Nope, lots of young blood coming through from the last few U21 teams Kev and they’re gong to see another improvement as the work done in the Co has been much more intense since the 2012 win.

They’ll pick of Ulsters for the next few years maybe, I’d say the next push for an All Ireland will have some of the 2012 boy at the helm, most likely Lacey.

McLoone and MacNiallais should be good re-additions this year but their defence has some major holes in it now.

They need to keep Murphy closer to goal and stop flogging him to death.