GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

He had them playing a very decent brand of football, amalgamating the best of Meath with the new defensive regiemes that are popular at the moment. A Leinster title, beating Dublin and should have beaten Kildare but for the unfortunate fallout from the Leinster Final. Just seems a little kneejerk imo. Who’s up next in Meath I wonder? Micko will probably let his name go forward for it.

Agreed that this seems awfully harsh on O’Brien. Could there be something in the offing with O’Rourke or someone registering their interest behind the scenes?

Would O Rourke get involved with the son there? He’s intimated in the past he wants it, perhaps he’s gotten sick of refereeing Brolly and Spillane?

I heard him interviewed a while back and he said he wouldnt get involved because his lad in on the panel and it would be complicated. But he also said he’d only manage meath.

Aye but he might have gotten sick of looking at them underperform. There’s a few decent footballers there, many of whom have come through Pats Navan and he would have coached them already. Shane’s a cert on the team now anyway so there’d be no talk of favourtism. If he was to wait for Shane to shuffle on he could be waiting 10 or more years. I think he’ll have a run for it this time, he looks thoroughly fed up on The Sunday Game lately.

Heard last night Conor Counihan is gone as Cork manager from next monday week, barring a draw. Doesn’t enjoy the time needed and the pressure and the media and everything else.

Risky strategy there Kev.

If this comes off it will be a propah* exclusive, if not you’ll have egg on your face.

• great word

We had a great exclusive last week when it was revealed that Eddie Brennan wouldn’t start for Kilkenny and that Henry Shefflin would start at 13.

It would be best for all concerned if O’Rourke fucked off alright. Bring in Tohill, Keith Barr or Conor Deegan to take his place.

Was Eddie there?

:lol:

Kearns has ruled out a return to Limerick.

Good.
Hopefully the committee can come up with someone better than those in the club nominations.

Betting has been suspended on Billy Morgan going to Galway :o

What are you on about? I wasn’t proclaiming anything, just something i heard. :rolleyes:

Strange, but sad, trio of tragedies in recent weeks involving the Cork selection commitee. Conor Couhihans brother passed away the other day, Terry O’ Neills son Damien was on a life support for a while (but is recovering now) 2 weeks ago, and Peadar Healy also lost a brother about a month back. Strange to happen to one small group in such a short period.

Morgan to Galway? Strangest decision in the history of GAA management if true.

I see Joe Kernan has been declared bankrupt today:

He must have been backing Oísin McConville’s tips.

Colm O’Rourke has distanced himself from the vacant manager’s job with Meath, but the Sunday Game analyst has stated he would be interested in taking charge of the Royals one day.

Eamonn O’Brien was removed from the position earlier this month after he lost a vote of confidence with Meath delegates, despite leading the county to the Leinster Championship this summer.

O’Rourke said: 'I certainly would be interested in the job but probably just not at the moment.

‘It is something that I would like to do at some time in the future and hopefully in the not to distance future.’

While O’Rourke is not interested in taking over now, he has called on Meath officials to go about the process of appointing a new manager in the right way.

'I think I’ll let it sit for a while. I think the County board need to contemplate this move for a while.

'The first thing they need to do is to get the right men to pick the manager.

‘What they should do is get a group of people together who know who to get and let them recommend somebody instead of this farcical situation that we had two years where we had a split decision in the camp and where a lot of people where hurt in the process.’

O’Rourke has plenty of sympathy for O’Brien after his controversial exit.

The Sunday Game analyst believes O’Brien should have been given more time with the county.

'It’s a bad week for Meath football. I was very disappointed for Eamonn O’Brien that he lost his job.

'I think he is very decent man. He did a lot of good work and had nothing but the best interests of Meath football at heart as has (selectors) Bob O’Malley and Donal Curtis.

‘I feel they’ve been badly treated.’

O’Rourke is disappointed with what he feels is a lack of patience from counties with managers.

He has compared the situation to English soccer, which has a record of huge turnover for coaches.

'It is one of the things of football that is not so nice anymore.

'There are an awful lot of managers in the country that are being treated now like managers in the English game.

'You think a lot of these fellows were getting 100, 200 or €500,000 a year.

'The likes of Eamonn O’Brien were getting nothing. He put a lot of time and effort into it. He treated the players well.

'He treated them with plenty of courtesy and respect and decency.

'It’s a pity that for people like that there seems to be no place in the game now.

'I find it hard to believe that we’ve got to a point that if a manager does not deliver the goods more or less in year one that he is dumped out.

‘There should have been a bit of patience with him. He was going the right way about it.’

He must know something the rest of us dont know, he’s waiting on something, perhaps for the current crop to mature a little more, or for the likes of Tyrone and Kerry to push on a little more. Hard to pin down. Maybe its just a case of waiting for a few of the fellas in the county board to fuck off.

Huh?

They are both gone, for the near future anyway. Quite the retarded comment. Down, Kildare, Cork, Dublin are the top teams now, followed by Armagh & Meath next year and i would say Tyrone and Kerry will fall in around those 2 somewhere in the ranking.

Neither Kerry or Tyrone have the players coming through now at the required standard to overturn their poor showings this year.

FFS Kev Kerry and Tyrone will be right up by the top again next year, guaranteed.