GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

I think you’re being harsh on O’Grady which is understandable in a way as I’m sure his departure left a sour taste, ancient history of course but Allen wouldn’t have won his All Ireland with Cork if O’Grady hadn’t paved the road for him, I’ve no doubt that he had a part to play in JA’s relative success with Limerick also, they weren’t that far off the pace in 11

Paddy Tally to Down?

Reports from players are out of all proportion different on o’grady and Allen. With the same panel O’Grady had no full back and no centre back. Allen fixed those in year one. O’Grady had Richie McCarthy at centre forward taking the frees and no full back. O’Grady was shown up to be completely out of date. Allen was the opposite. 2012 is far more relevant than 2000. Also, job done with a weaker panel more important than that with a stronger.

O ‘ Grady wouldn’t come to Waterford. He was offered the job before and reckoned Waterford couldn’t afford him.

Allen is an immediately impressive character. Just the right mix of authority, approachability, open-mindedness, persuasiveness and intellect. He got respect because he gave respect.

A much better manager than a columnist, however.

1 Like

Hammered by Kilkenny twice either side of beating a bad Tipp team. The infamous Leinster final where Skippy Ruth battered the shite out of the tunnel wall after Shefflin made a mockery of him, the only time Henry got the better of him, cos Meyler got it into his head that Skippy was a full back and Rossi a centre back. Tactical stupidity of the highest order.

John Allen was hugely respected by Limerick players, he was an excellent man manager and delegated superbly. Everything was player led. John Kiely was a selector under him and has referenced how much he learned under him. Both essentially had the same panel of players to work with.

Donal O’Grady, while respected by the players and definitely improved Limerick in 2011, left a lot to be desired when it came to adapting to the game away from short passing. He also made some terrible terrible tactical mistakes in his time there that surprised many. John Allen was far more tactically aware, had his team better prepared and was better on the line to make switches and react to what was in front of him during games.

John Allen just doesn’t talk as much shit as Donal O’Grady. His performance on the Sunday Game after we beat Cork was pitifully biased and uninspiring.

2 Likes

The week of the 2018 Al Ireland Final and Limerick’s first appearance since 2007, all the Limerick contributors seemingly want to discuss are the merits of their two managers 2011-13.

2 Likes

And the first four months of 2014 which capped it off

1 Like

It’s a case of Tally-ho for Down.

Should be a very good appointment for them. Still no real sign of strong underage performances from Down in recent years but they have improved somewhat recently.

Coach to manager though.

Amazing GAA still doesn’t really get these things are vastly different.

Not these say he cannot be a success, but it’s a big change for him from previous roles in IC

Tally has managed before though. Won a Sigerson with Marys in 2017.

That’s not IC and a completely different ball game.
Managing Sigerson is a load of fun. Not even related to managing IC in a county with expectancy.

2 Likes

Most managers haven’t managed at intercounty level before. He has extensive experience of intercounty level and has management experience.

1 Like

You are arguing for sake of arguing again.

It’s a completely different role.

You haven’t a clue

I’m making points. If you disagree with them then so be it but there’s nothing incorrect with what I have said.

Tally has a great track record and I think he will be a superb appointment.

You were lauding Kildare’s appointment of CON at the time so it’s an odd departure to make.

Seems a very good appointment for Down. That St Mary’s win was a great achievement and he had McKernan as his main man on that side too. I don’t know if the footballers are in Down but he should at least bring some positivity back to the scene there after relegation and a poor championship. Interesting too that Benny Coulter is on his management team, he has frequently criticised the type of modern defensive football that Tally sets his teams up to play.
I’d say it’s also a good appointment for Galway, it would have been a brave move to get rid of him but Galway probably needed to freshen things up for next season. Decision has been taken out of Walsh’s hands now.

1 Like

Great news for Galway GAA.

I made the very same point in fact. Doesn’t mean (as stated with Tally) that it cannot be a success. But the GAA are still showing ignorance to the roles.

His main skills are structure and coaching. Now while he may be able to implement the structure will he have the time to actually get it across. Because he will not be able to do it all.
It could take 2 years to get into an amateur job that way.
Who is doing the management of the management ream. Because that’s really the role in GAA.