GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

There’s talk there could be more to come on this story.

Rochford was given a deadline of the end of August to name a backroom team. What’s comng in doesn’t look great. Forde has an inter-county track record with Sligo and Galway but that’s over a decade ago and his spell with Galway was not good.

When Michael Ryan stepped down form the Tipp job he admitted he could have stayed with a new backroom team but felt it would have been a bad move both for him and the team and he wasn’t prepared to sack the existing backroom team in order to carry on himself. Rochford obviously was.

Mayo women’s football has already torn itself apart this summer, so maybe the men are getting jealous.

Rumours going round the county that Rochford is gone

I heard a stat the other night that I dismissed, donie Vaughan has lost 7 ai finals as a player. That surely isn’t true

Five I’d say. Think he played in the 2005 All-Ireland minor final.

Alan Dillon has been involved in six losing All-Ireland senior finals, playing in five.

I think he lost the 2000 All-Ireland minor final as well.

I’d have to check up but he may also have been involved in the 1999 minor final and the 2001 u-21 final, both of which Mayo lost.

Loads of usual guff from you. O Grady had a completely different panel to pick from. He took over liemrick when they were a total and utter rmess. He brought back dignity, respect and a bit of backbone to limerick hurling when it was at its lowest ebb. John Allen finished a job he started just like in cork. O Grady is a total cunt of a man but he’s a very fine manager.

1 Like

I have plenty, and also know that there are a huge amount of coaches in sport who are complete bluffers. In my experience they only coach as to manage would expose them completely, by coaching only they can always blame the management team for failures. That is not to say that every coach who doesn’t manage does it for that reason, but a significant number do.
For team 1 you must believe that the managers approach means the team are 1 or 2% below where they could be, maybe more. At the top end of sport that is usually the difference between success and failure. If a coach is fully invested in a group watching them fail due to the ineptitude of others removes all job satisfaction.
For team 2 you really can not fail as the brief is so straightforward. I’d be interested to know how much information you had on that bunch before you took them on. If both Pep Guardiola and Sam Allardyce said ‘improve each player individually’ you could achieve that with the same coaching, but the actual coaching a Guardiola team needs is very different to an Allardyce team. Without clear detail from the manager on how he wants to play iv no idea how you can be sure you are adding real value to the group though, but I think I’m talking about top level sport here and you are perhaps about something further down the chain.
In any case this debate started after you seemed to doubt Tallys credentials for intercounty management. Like you have now said top coaches can become good managers, Tally has 25 years coaching experience, 15 years at the highest level in GAA and has management experience with intercounty players, I’d say he is well qualified for the role he is taking on. The fact some candidates for the Down job pulled out when they heard Tally was in for it tells you the enthusiasm there is in the county about his appointment.

I have 24 years coaching experience.

What I have learned is within a management team you pick your battles.

I have been the manager plenty times, but at lower levels when it’s that “you are everything role”

I would agree there is an astonishing amount of bluffer’s in coaching but more in management. The are mount of managers out there being carried by either a very talented bunch of players or a really good coach is unbelievable.

Coaching education in ireland outside rugby and hockey and maybe boxing is putrid. That does not mean all are shit in the traditional sports but just that the average coach is at a lower level (even if competent and hingry) and it allows itself open to more bluffing.

In fact coaching badges opens it up to untold bluffer’s.

But coaching allowed management are vastly different. Especially at highest levels. And Tally skills are coaching. He may indeed be a great success, but not if he is carrying out a dual role. I know what’s involved in IC management and it’s off the charts.

My point is he is being brought in on his coaching skills but expected yo do something else. Now maybe he has a lieutenant lined up, but that’s the challenge.

That’s Andy Moran, it’d be 8 if he didn’t get injured in 2012.

Alan Dillon has lost 9.

Did David Brady lose a load as well?

How many All Ireland finals did ye lads all Play in?

3 senior
1 U-21
1 club

Yeah, but not that many. He also won an All Ireland with Ballina in 2005.

Ah right. I was at the one in 2005, remember how happy he was at the end of the game.

McGuinness to Mayo

He’s gone.

It’s been on the cards for a while. There’s a cabal of moneymen in America who have been pushing for McGuinness for a few years, CB have engineered this to force SR out.

Pope Frankie signed his death warrant.

1 Like

Strange announcing a back room team last week and then him quiting this week. Was the back room team forced on him ?

SR had been slapped with a one week deadline to select a backroom team at the CB meeting last Thursday, which was bizarre in the first place given Connelly (CB chair) hadn’t spoke to him for weeks after the Kildare game. There was then a hastily convened meeting of the CB executive last night to “discuss” the proposed backroom team additions (Conway and Forde). The executive refused to ratify, leaving Rochford nowhere to go but resign.

Connelly has been waiting to stick it to the Breaffy gang for knifing his brother for a while (though the proposed selectors being with Breaffy this year is coincidental, not really Breaffy men), this was his shot, with the additional element of the US paymasters wanting SR gone.

3 Likes

This is all quite unedifying.