GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

You’d want your head examined to be taking the job with the CB as it is.

1 Like

If McGuinness can get what’s left of this Mayo team over the line he’d have to be considered the GOAT

2 Likes

Well if you were a manager who was at a loose end and a wheelbarrow of money was landed at your door, you’d probably give it a shot.

I’d have to have a good long think about it myself tbh.

You could destroy your ability to Sheedy your way through life though.

He was doomed as soon as O’Shea referred to him as “Rochy” in an interview on Off the Ball, not long after his appointment.

1 Like

If this is true it’s a disgraceful way to treat Rochford who comes across as a decent man. He has got some tremendous performances out of Mayo in the last few years and has brought them closer to the Holy Grail than anyone.

3 Likes

He did/is doing a decent job but, Jesus, that decision to drop Clarke for the replay that time was just insane.

2 Likes

What was even worst than that was that he doesn’t appear to have made that decision.

Hennelly’s Breaffy club mates made have had a spake.

He got that one badly wrong and unfortunately it will be the decision he is remembered for most.

However while all other counties were completely spooked by Dublin in the last few years his team went toe to toe with them and with a tiny bit more luck would have beaten them at least once. He deserves better than this grubby back stabbing.

3 Likes

Looking at the paltry efforts put up to Dublin so far this year you’d have to have an even greater respect for Mayo over the last few years in their attempts to topple them. Even without a real top quality forward they went toe to toe with one of the beat sides in the history of Gaelic football. Had them by the throat so many times but just couldn’t get over the line.

6 Likes

If that story is true it paints Rochford in a very weak light. History is such a big thing in GAA, when a team is going for a title after a long barren period you need an authorative figurehead calling the shots, who won’t pander to any of the egos in the dressing room.

Can’t imagine the likes of Liam Griffin, Loughnane, McGuinness, Mickey Harte etc pandering to anyone over team selection.

While it appears it’s a hachet job on Rochford, his backroom team proposals hardly inspire confidence. The joint managers of Breaffy including Peter Forde who is probably a has been at this stage.

I’m delighted at this news & hope Mayo continue for decades in the hunt of SM.

Gone with dignity fair play to him.

3 Likes

He’s been treated shamefully, a much bigger man than those gangsters who shafted him

8 Likes

I would be astonished if McGuiness made any real progress with them.

I think Jimmy had got a bit myopic

He talks more about the tear they lost an AI than the one he won.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m not sure at all about how he’d do.

They better have him lined up anyway - if it falls through and they did this for no reason, they should be pilloried. Options would be thin after that, Mike Solan is the great hope but he’s not ready for senior intercounty.

We haven’t heard the last of this either, the players will have something to say given Rochford was their man.

2 Likes

Absolutely

Only someone like Jim McG would temper them somewhat.

This could be Cork messy yet