GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

By Sid’s criteria, Davy Fitz was a more successful manager of Waterford by virtue of reaching all ireland.

Really? Not too many people inside or outside Waterford would agree with you there i’d imagine.

2 Likes

You also have to factor in the KK team of the 00s when assessing that period — the greatest team to ever play the game.

And the Cork team.

1 Like

Waterford were consistently involved in brilliant, exciting matches during his tenure

1 Like

Agreed — two phenomenal teams

And that Waterford team went toe to toe with them in some of the best matches I ever witnessed.

A manager who wins an All-Ireland semi-final is more successful than a manager who doesn’t win an All-Ireland semi-final

Lies, damn lies and statistics spring to mind!

1 Like

So that Bond lad who took over Offaly late in '98 must be a genius in your mind??.. Nothing to do with crop of players?

1 Like

unless they win the final they are both equally unsuccessful

He was successful - he won an All-Ireland

You mentioned the word genius

I didn’t

I’ve no idea why you mentioned that word

Davy in three and a bit seasons got Waterford to an All Ireland Final, never failed to get them to an All Ireland semi final (four in total) and presided over the last provincial title win for Waterford in 2010. All that with a team that after 2008 was largely in transition.

Davy is the Greatest.

2 Likes

That would be to say that Michael Ryan was as successful a manager of Waterford as Justin McCarthy

Which is obviously not true

Many will say they didn’t this year

It was a very underrated tenure

Justin won 3 Munster Hurling Championships

1 Like

I just emphasising how stupid your logic is…

Really? Exciting hammerings to Tipp for example?

But he didn’t win an All-Ireland final, or even reach one

In two of his first four seasons he failed to reach an All-Ireland semi-final, including a limp defeat to a poor Wexford team

That was with that group of Waterford players at their absolute peak

They were a very exciting team but in reality, failing to even reach an All-Ireland final in six full seasons (and you could also throw in 2008 when they were floundering when he left after defeat to Clare) has to go down as a failure

That said he was obviously more successful than Michael Ryan, and so was Gerald McCarthy