GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

No, your logic is stupid

Michael Bond was obviously a successful manager of Offaly

Gerald McCarthy never won anything with Waterford bud. He was equally as unsuccessful as Michael Ryan

Gerald McCarthy revitalised Waterford as a hurling force

Waterford were cannon fodder before he took over including losing to Kerry

His tenure has to be judged as a success

1998 was the first time Waterford were genuine All-Ireland contenders since 1963

So he lifted them out of the ‘doldrums’?

4 Likes

Someone untie Sid, he’s in a knot…

He did and so did Derek

Waterford were in their lowest place since pre-1998 when he took over

1 Like

And Justin?

I’ve swatted away all comers with ease here

You tried to claim Bond was not successful for instance

That’s crazy stuff

Derek did not lift them out of any doldrums, he effectively put them into a big one though.

No… The point I’m making is he had fcuk all time to exert any real influence… Yet they won all ireland…

Michael Ryan presided over 7 Championship games winning 3 - Win rate of 42%
Gerald MCCarthy presided over 11 Championship games winning 4 - Win rate of 36%

You said success is determined by how deep someone goes in a competition, now you’re saying it is based on some arbitrary set of parameters

And what about him

I’ve already given my opinion of him above

In relative terms his tenure has to be judged a failure because those Waterford players should have won at least one All-Ireland

Justin had those players at their absolute peak and didn’t even reach a final - only once did they even perform to anywhere near their best in a semi-final, in 2006

based on what? they were in a decade with two of the strongest teams ever to hurl and it was book ended by a really strong Tipp team also.

2 Likes

So winning three Munsters is irrelevant as it does not suit your argument. They also competed against two of the greatest teams of all time and were a victim of timing rather than inferior management.

1 Like

you haven’t taken into account the zeitgeist. Careful now, or he’ll swat you away

You’re determining arbitrary parameters, pal

Oh, and Gerald McCarthy reached an All-Ireland semi-final, Michael Ryan didn’t

that’s your determination of success which I disagreed with. They are both equally unsuccessful

win percentages and titles won aren’t arbitrary. They are fact

Based on having outstandingly talented players like Ken McGrath, Tony Browne, Dan Shanahan, Paul Flynn, John Mullane, Eoin Kelly, Brick Walsh, all at their peak, most of whom would have walked onto any team in Ireland in any era

They were beaten up a stick by very limited Limerick team which shouldn’t have been fit to lace their boots

They folded against Clare in 2002 and badly underperformed against Kilkenny in 2004

They lacked depth of Kilkenny and Cork at the time which was main reason they failed to lift Liam McCarthy imho.

1 Like