GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Holy Jaysus, just read in todays Examiner that Eddie O’ Connor has been nominated for the Waterford Senior hurling job!!! :o

After been fucked out of a club team for being absolutely useless, and leaving a team about 10 years behind their rivals, he lets his name go forward for a county job. I presume there is enough cop on down there for this not to happen.

Davy voted in unopposed for another year in Waterford…

Some amount of bitching and moaning done about him to end up being returned unopposed. There was a ridiculous letter in the munster express detailing every possible little mistake he could possibly have made, saying that the defeat to Tipp was a disastrous one even though they lost by less than Kilkenny did. Whether he’s ultimately the best man for them or not a lot of them are completely deluded down there.

Massive inferiority complex in Waterford when it comes to managing teams.
Since 1998 we’ve had the same name trotted out each time. Jim Green, FFS
He managed to win one munster club with mcgrathx2, Eoin Kelly, Tony Browne, Micheal White, Brian Flannery etc at a time when all you needed to do to win a Waterford co champ was beat Ballygunner.

Whatever happened to Stephen Frampton and all those lads from the mid 90s?

Latest article i saw (maybe the same one mentioned above) ,was some wanker of a professeur out in Dungarvan calling for Davy to resign.
Jesus wept, no tradition.

His 1 year stint coincides nicely with the end of the Sparrows tenure in Clare…

But sure Dan thinks he’s tactically inept and Dan is never wrong.

Them Waterford lads are only second to you Limerick lads as being weird when it comes to hurling managers. As much as I hate Davy I’d love if he was in charge of Wexford.

I wonder how many of the supporters who remember Ray Cummins taking his point would put this year down as a disaster for them. That letter was the most over the top attack on a manager I have ever seen. Considering stalwarts like Shanahan, Ken McGrath, Tony Brown, and Eoin Kelly are clearly past their best they can’t complain too much about a munster title. Jesus everyone wants to win the All Ireland but you have to have some sense of perspective.

Had Daly ended his tenure with the Dubs he’d be everyone’s favourite (almost everyone’s) for the job when Sparrow steps down. I think Davy has matured quite a bit over the past few years but I’d still have Daly a long way ahead of him. For one thing the development squad budget wouldn’t be ransacked to pay for the sixty strong backroom team.

Looking at the age and profile of our squad over the next 3-4 years, I’d be at Dinny Cahills door next August (or whenever Antrim bow out) asking him to coach this side for two years.
Manager is less important.

There are many many coaches capable of bring them lads on in a coaching capacity and probably closer to home than Dinny Cahill.

Davy won’t bring success to that bunch of Clare hurlers. I’m getting more and more convinced he’s a bluffer of a coach.

What I was wondering is who’s going to be added to the backroom team for next year. It’s fairly agreed upon at this point that the hurling work wasn’t entirely up to scratch last year so we need someone. Tactically I don’t know if Sparrow has any strong views but if he doesn’t it’s even more important that we have a good ball work coach. If there isn’t one sure we’re only passing the time.

I couldnt agree more…i am heartened by caomihons comments that we have queues of coaches closer to home better than Mr Cahill.
When he posts the list we’ll have a gawk

+1. :popcorn:

Probably won’t happen but the likes of a Jamsie or Cyril Lyons would be a serious addition to the backroom team next year…

:smiley:

My main point is there are alot of Dinny Cahills out there. they are within the club scene in Clare. I mean for example, who made fellas from Cratloe and Clonlara the hurlers they are up to now?

Clare is around the size of Avondu and Muskerry in Cork put together, i would know 20 lads up to really improving a teams hurling, and coaching them in a manner suited to the players they have, and with a directive from a manager.

In my opinion and relative experience, the problem these days isn’t the coaches lads, its the players having trust in the Manager. The manager also needs have a clear thinking on the way he wants to play, and be able to articulate that to the trainers/coach and more importantly the players. He also then needs to be very shrewd on the line, and know his players inside out. Sometimes the Manager can be the coach/trainer as well, but these animals are rare IMO as it takes different types of people to be good at either. The yanks believe that good coaches use one part of the brain while good managers use another.

Anything Dinny Cahill has in his armoury i suspect quite a few Claremen have as well. Daly strikes me as the man to be the manager. The problem with someone like Davy is that after a while with all these back room people the players start to wonder what his function is at all. Alot of the time the players end up attaching themselves to a trainer, and (weather its right or wrong) stop listening to a manager.

But that has nothing to do with the fact that Waterford are absolutely off their rockers in the way they think about themselves. They do have good young players, but maybe not enough of them at the same time just yet.

CLonlara and Cratloe have two exceptional primary school teachers, Jody OConnor and PJ FItzpatrick and thats the primary reason these guys churn out those players currently.
I saw Dinny Cahill coach some sessions in Dublin and himself and Pauidi Butler are ahead of anything i have seen wrt improving hurling skills in adults.

Clare need a forward coach. Somebody who can teach the players how to create space by movement and changing structure.
We are way too man to man. Works for KK becuase they have 8 6ft+ skillful players who can move.
We dont and we need a structure which makes use of speed, motion and will involve much more tactics and thought than we have been used to.
Like Cork 2003-2008. Everybody points to the fact that they didnt have a ball winner from 8-15 but they still appeared in 5 AI finals.

Daly needs to go back to the Clare senior Club setup and get a view of the club scene again.

I’ve never seen Cahill run a session but Paudie Butler is unbelievable. An incredible hurling coach. Fortunately for us some of the development coaches with the squads have spent a good bit of time working with him and have adopted a lot of his ideas. You might find this hard to believe but I know of clubs in Clare who turned down the chance to have him help with their coaching structures. This is a county of course where most saw nothing wrong with Mike Mac’s methods. If anyone ever wanted to understand the Clare county board they should read this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect - It’s them in a nutshell.

Paudie butler is streets ahead of Cahill IMO.

You get idiotic clubs like that everywhere wtb.

Some of the Waterford folk are less than pleased with Davy’s re-appointment.

I see the Hoganstand poll on ‘What went wrong against Tipp?’ gave the following results:

Our forwards let us down 37%
We lost it at midfield 7%
Our backs aren’t up to it 9%
Poor decisions on the line 46%

Definitely his fault then. Personally, watching that game I can’t imagine that any switches would have swung the game in their favour.

So many Waterford “supporters” don’t understand the game whatsoever. Anyone could see the standard of the Munster finals was muck, and that defensive system couldn’t cut it against a really good team in Croke Park. Tipp cruised to victory in that semi final, anybody from Waterford thinking they are anywhere near that level at the moment is completely and utterly off their heads.

Both Munster finalist got shown up in the All-Ireland. Munster (or any province in hurling or football) isn’t worth a fuck to the top teams anymore, no matter what type of lip service they pay it.

Tommy Lyons and James Horan linked with the Myo job, with Lyons the favourite.

Horan is training one of the finalists in the Senior Championship. Lyons did well enough with Offaly (he had a decent group of players though) but embarassed himself with Dublin.

Lyons has an excellent CV - 2 Leinsters, a National League, an All-Ireland Club and an All-Ireland U-21, so I can’t understand the outright hostility to him in Mayo. Started off really well with both Offaly and Dublin but one defeat seemed to drive the whole show off the road for him with both counties and he never recovered (Offaly v Meath in '98, Dublin v Laois in’03). He did particularly well with Offaly considering they were one of the worst teams in Ireland when he took over and transformed them completely within a year of taking over. But it seems his man-management style is only suited to short term success and becomes counter-productive in the medium to long term. The interview where he blamed Cluxton after the Armagh defeat in '03 ruined him with Dublin really.