GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Paul Flynn was exceptional in that 2004 semi final. Flynn was a serious hurler and himself, Ken and Tony Browne were the real class acts on that team, a few notches above the likes of Shanahan, Eoin Kelly and Mullane.

Waterford really missed Mullane in that 2004 semi final. If he’d kept his mouth shout after the Munster Final, maybe there might have been something to work with on the rule book to get him off and playing against Kilkenny. Once he did his tired and emotional, People of Waterford, I love me county address, that particular ship had sailed.

Mullane had bigger issues at the time. He was up in court for assault and needed to be seen to do the magnanimous thing regarding the suspension as the last thing he needed at the time was more negative publicity.

That said Shane Sullivan in his place was stone useless and one of Justin’s most bizarre selection decisions.

If you don’t play aimless whacking of the ball up the field, the inverted hurling snobs will cut you in two

Derek McGrath almost made hurling enjoyable.

That trial and acquittal if memory serves me correct was the week before the 2005 quarter final against Cork.

Heard a good one about that, I’ll send you a PM.

The prosecution wanted him tried in Kilkenny be cause they argued they wouldn’t get a fair shake in Waterford. The defence sure as fuck didn’t want him tried in Kilkenny because he was hated there after debollocking a lad in Mullinavat in a challenge match. If he’d be n tried in Kilkenny he’d probably still be in jail. As it was he was acquitted by a jury of his peers in Waterford.

1 Like

Heard about that escapade at the time, because I have cousins near there…

Would Sean Power be in contention for the Waterford job @Fagan_ODowd?

No.

Would ye take Donal Og?

Any reason why? Thought he did well with the U21’s?

A. They won’t put in another Mount Sion nan after Patsy
B. He has no background at all in Senior Hurling as a player or manager, club or county. The players would have no respect for him. He is a development squad manager who had the good fortune to be handed and exceptional group of players and he took them all the way through.

1 Like

John Evans gone from Wicklow.

Listen, this isn’t about John Evans.

2 Likes

Why did Joe Quaid get the road in Westmeath?

@balbec

He didn’t bring enough Westmeathness to the table.

Or else he brought too much

I think the physio brought a little too much.

The replacement they got in for that physio was a serious improvement tbf.