GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Louis Mulqueen in his own right.

Daly.

Humphrey Kelleher

1 Like

Progressive appointment if true

Maybe @flattythehurdler could put a package together to get Stan Murrey Hession involved.

Tony Ward is what I am hearing.

1 Like

I doubt the galway finances are up to the travel packages.

2 Likes

Would Daly have much interest?

Doubt it. Not enough mileage.

Is Tony still involved in coaching the St Andrews, Leinster Schools Senior Cup team?

1 Like

Mick Dempsey to go into the Laois set up with Mike Quirke.

Awful pity for galway that eamon o shea is back with tipp… He’d work wonders if he coached that galway forward line. .

1 Like

He was apparently approached about a nomination, but flat out refused

I would take Mattie Murphy before I would take him if I was a galway player

He could go via Doolin/Ballyvaughan

2 Likes

That would be tremendous craic. I hope he gets it.

1 Like

Agree. And the same with Rockford and the footballers. Galway have the talent in both codes (well to be top four at least in football) if they can get the management right.

Two of Micheal Donoghue’s selectors have been nominated to fill the void created by his decision to step down as Galway senior hurling manager.

Noel Larkin and Francis Forde are two of three nominees for the vacancy while, according to Galway Bay FM, former U21 manager Tony Ward is also nominated.

There are also three names in the frame to replace Kevin Walsh in the football hot-seat – Padraig Joyce, Liam Kearns and Matt Duggan.

Dónal Óg Cusack’s appointment as Cork minor hurling manager was ratified tonight — but not without strong reservations from some delegates at a county board meeting in Pairc Ui Chaoimh.

Cusack has been appointed for a one-year term but delegates at tonight’s meeting heard Cusack criticised for his support of convicted paedophile Tom Humphries — and for his unflattering commentaries on Cork GAA in the past.

Humphries pleaded guilty to two counts of defilement of a child in Dublin between December 5, 2010, and February 19, 2011, and four counts of inviting a child to participate in a sexually explicit, obscene or indecent act between January 2010 and March 2011.

“I couldn’t support one of the people named tonight as manager and that is Donal Óg Cusack. That is for one reason and one reason only — for his support for Tom Humphries in a very serious matter involving a young member of a sister association,” Muskerry delegate John Crean said.

Responding to Crean, chairperson Tracey Kennedy said “I couldn’t possibly discuss anything like that at a county board meeting”.

St Michael’s Frank O’Connell took umbrage with the appointment given Cusack’s previous criticism of the board.

“He wouldn’t have been my pick, for a start. This is the man who went on the Sunday Games a number of years ago and cut the county board to ribbons. He called [the stadium redevelopment] the centre of mediocrity. I hope he accepts it now that it is a centre of excellence, not a centre of mediocrity.

He blamed the county board for certain colleges’ not winning the Harty Cup, he cut this board to ribbons, and now he is the Cork minor manager.

Eoghan Cormican of the Examiner

Liam Kearnes would be a good fit with the Galway footballers. He’ll have his work cut out to bate the bad habits Walsh got them into. The nucleus of a formidable team are there.

3 Likes

Kearns would be excellent for 2 years and then it’s show over. He is very good with players from what I’ve heard but tactically he would need good selectors around him.

Problem with these appointments is getting a boss who knows the game within the County.