GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

It’s poor form from the players if this is the case.

1 Like

Yeah, got the same whatsapp

Moran and Geaney come across as proper cunts.

Donie Buckley wouldn’t win over the snobbier Kerry fans who only respect a manager with a stellar playing career. Maurice Fitz in the unifying choice

Moran should ask Ogie to come back.

Are the players there at the moment for this Kerry team to win the All-Ireland? In hindsight Keane probably did as well as could be expected, getting as close as they did to Dublin last year. It’s Kerry so they expect to win the All-Ireland every year, the bar is set fairly high.

They’ve had a bang average ‘keeper and defence for years. Outside of Clifford their forwards look workmanlike, O’Donoghue has been ruined by injuries. If Geaney was acting the cunt he deserved to be dropped.

Moran is getting on and doesn’t have many years left either.

I think this has been festering since the 2019 replay . If they won the AI this year all would be forgotten . They didn’t and so it came to pass .

Darver is a grand spot.

Which one of them pushed him down the mountain?

1 Like

I’m not sure Donie Buckley would be a front runner. He goes over to Florida every winter for a few months and plays golf and its hard to see him giving up that lifestlye. He prefers to be in the background and doing the defensive coaching and not having to be thinking about it 24/7. He is a fantastic coach and there are no airs or graces with him. He took us for a couple of sessions before and I think he did some coaching with a Clare club team and Rathgormack in Waterford used him as well.

Donie would be good friends with my father and has done plenty of sessions with our club down the years. He has absolutely no interest in been a manager and only wants to coach. While he might not get the approval of some Kerry people there are not to many better coaches around.
He goes all over the world each winter studying coaching in other sports and learning different techniques. He did go to Florida last year for a few months over the winter and was late joining up with the Kerry panel but he normally wouldn’t go away for as long as he did that winter.

2 Likes

Are Buckley’s coaching sessions not just about getting forwards to foul high up the pitch?

1 Like

No, I honestly couldn’t rate him higher. As some here know already my brother is on the Roscommon panel and he always says after Buckley takes a club session for us that he has never done a session like it. Chalk and Cheese compared with anything he ever got with Roscommon

The hallmark of teams Buckley has trained, at county level anyway, has been that they commit an awful lot of fouls in the opponent’s half. They break the momentum up of teams running the ball out from the back and allows them to regroup their shape. Mayo and Kerry both did this very well.

They largely get away with too as defenders never get frees as easy as forwards do and referees don’t punish persistent fouling in that area of the pitch. Guys like Cillian O’Connor built reputations as being good tacklers when all they were doing was committing persistent fouls.

2 Likes

Moran cost Kerry an All Ireland last year and more than likely cost them a place in the All Ireland series this year. A little introspection wouldn’t go astray there

1 Like

Remarkable insight from a fella that’s never so much as taken part in a junior B training session.
Donie Buckley is training teams with thirty odd years but he’s defined in your head by the single characteristic of a player you never liked anyway. Laughable stuff.

6 Likes

All is forgiven because he was putting someone up on his shoulders before Rock’s free to potentially win it.

Triggered.

I’ve said it here previously but Moran gets gassed in the last 10 minutes. He’s very big boned and broad to be shifting around the pitch for 70 mins and is not getting any younger. When the needle hits the red zone, the head and decision-making go making him a serious liability. They should treat him like Colm Boyle and take him off after 55mins.