GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

I spent a tremendous evening in a pub on the left hand side of the road about 4 miles from Athlone out that way 40 years ago with a rake of your folk. I was with a fella who owned a filling station on the Galway road called Joe Egan who’s dead and gone.
Connaughtons of Cornafulla it was called if memory serves me. Brendan Shine, who appeared to be a local, blasted out a few on the box and was abused by all and sundry for being stone useless at it… Great days.

6 Likes

@caoimhaoin was ahead of the game when it came to being snake oils salesmen

1 Like

Donie Buckley heading back into intercounty scene again next year. I reckon he could be part of coaching ticket for Galway footballers. He is living in Clare so not too far to go.

PJ could have a few opt-outs as it is. Could do with someone to satisfy the tactical side of things from what I hear.

That would be a great fit.

That’s all v fair.

I just think a decent coach from another sport would be able to adapt v quickly, and that most improvement comes from culture and mindset etc.

You’d pick up the drills handy enough for most sports…

Credibility in front of the players the biggest issue

That’s different to how I interpreted what you were saying. It’s very true on the managerial side.
Pretty sure the Adare manager for the football is from a hockey background, but always had good coaches with him.

A good coach would be able to adapt to any other invasion sport. Set out your end goal and work backwards.

Monaghan would you believe

1 Like

Not an obvious move :thinking:

I’d say if you looked deeply enough there is someone with money involved with that club.

Fair mileage.

I’d be surprised if Sars had big money to throw around but can’t say I know the ins and outs of the club there. They have a lot of good young players so should be well capable of challenging at the latter end of the championship if Dalo can get a tune out of them.

Every time I see this thread pop up I hope Cody is gone.

2 Likes

Cody needs to handpick his Moyes-esque fall guy replacement who will enhance Cody’s legacy by being an abysmal failure

Will it be Shefflin or Derek Lyng next up?

Regardless of money, that’s an awfully long drive.

Has Derek Lyng managed anyone before? Shefflin could be very good I’d imagine judging on his Ballyhale record (with a very strong crop it must be said) It wouldn’t be as daunting taking over from Cody if the famine continues.

Wasn’t he Cody’s right hand man?