GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

He did an excellent job with them, reached a Leinster final (which I had completely forgotten about until I looked it up a couple of minutes ago) and got successive promotions in the League. Reached Round 4 of the qualifiers in 2019, beating Derry in Derry in the process.

Won an under-20 Munster title with Kerry in 2020 but stepped down from that job last winter. Lives in Laois and runs his own physiotherapy clinic there so work commitments might rule him out.

If he wanted it he looks the best candidate.

1 Like

Jack O’Connor already has it got

You’d probably think so alright.

Jack is the no-nonsense, pig ignorant, stubborn man they need. And I mean that as a compliment.

1 Like

Wolly Parkinson spend time in Tralee could be a bilter in new management ticket

A vibes kind of man

1 Like

He’s made them great before and he will do so again.

I don’t think they need much, just a fella who’ll pick half forwards at half forward, and won’t be looking in at 578 short kickouts thinking it’s a winning strategy. That kind of thing

Jack is yesterday’s man. They might as well bring back Micko.

3 Likes

Jack won’t be let near it ffs.

He’s getting the Laois job

Paul Galvin

Big Davy Power?

1 Like

That’s true

It only really seems to be the ‘Big 3’ of Kilkenny, Cork and Tipperary that are going for that managerial template of fellows around the 60 mark who were playing in the 1980’s.

Yeah Sugrue did a very good job with Laois. Far better than Quirke. Brought Laois from division 4 to division 2 in his time there as well.

The standard of management in football as a whole has gone down a good bit from a few years ago.

The Dublin, Donegal and Kerry managers are all pretty average. I don’t think its a coincidence that Tyrone and Mayo made the final. They have the best management of any of the teams you could conceivably imagine reaching a final, which I suppose just about includes Galway and Monaghan. Although Horan blotted his copybook in a big way on Saturday.

A good manager makes a huge difference. Look at the difference Rory Gallagher made to Derry this year. You wouldn’t write them off winning Ulster next year. Look at Mickey Graham last year. Even John Maughan with Offaly at a lower level.

Jim Gavin, Jim McGuinness, Malachy O’Rourke, Stephen Rochford, Kevin Walsh, John Sugrue, none of these guys are currently over inter-county teams and are obviously superior to the vast majority of what’s out there at the moment.

1 Like

Cody reappointed for a 24th year

Kevin Walsh is rumoured to be taking over the Leitrim senior team.

Would be a good appointment. Walsh is a good manager but was blackguarded in the pat.