GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

I haven’t, no.

Should I have?

Stephen Stack was the only Kerry footballer to bridge the gap between the Mick O’Dwyer era and the great famine of Kerry football. All Ireland winner in 1986 and 1997.

2 Likes

Good work mate.

Yeah, I never heard of him.

1 Like

The pretend Italian/pretend Tyronian comes across as if he’s somewhere in the 45-50 age bracket.

For somebody of that age who claims to follow Gaelic football never to have heard of Stephen Stack is quite the gap in knowledge.

I mean I’d seen Stack play live probably five or six times by the time I was 12.

1 Like

A mush

Flattered to have the schizophrenics debating my age but I’m a fit and healthy u40, thank you very much.

2 Likes

Fixed that for ya, buddy.

Well able to pick up his cheque every month no doubt

2 Likes

Few bob in hand from the county board on top of the old age pension. Be a nice auld earner

2 Likes

Yearra

Teachers pension. He’ll leave a grand owl nest egg.

2 Likes

Malachy O’ Rourke would be a tremendous appointment for Kildare. They should be all out to secure his services.

I’d agree with you that this is underestimated. The rise of Donegal from a rank of 18th in the country to All-Ireland champions in the space of 18 months the prime example of that. All too often blame is placed on the players but you rarely see a good manager fail desperately. Even with limited players he lifts them to a higher level than expected.

I go back what to what Ray Boyne said. “Dublin try harder.” They definitely tried harder than all but a few select counties. And they thought smarter.

That’s what good managers bring. They set the culture.

It wasn’t just McGuinness in Donegal that brought about a transformation. Horan in Mayo did too, one that has been even longer lasting.

Nobody can tell me that if Cork, Galway, Meath or Kildare got a top manager in that they wouldn’t be competing seriously before too long.

2 Likes

You reckon there’s a big paycheck for asst manager in Kerry for a Kerryman?

Mickley O’D back in Galway and Canning giving it another two years…allegedly.

Canning will look like some fuckin ape if he decides to return for another 2 years after the big retirement while the championship was still on. I’d doubt that’s true.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of Stephen Stack either. What are his managerial credentials?

Kevin Walsh would be a relatively decent appointment for Kildare but I’d feel Malachy O’ Rourke would be a far better one.

I thought twas yer man Stephen Wallace that got sacked by Offaly ye were on about.