GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

To be fair he has done a serious job with Louth. Got them up from Division 4 to Division 3 to Division 2 - where they were almost the best of the rest after the Dubs and Derry and were more than competitive. Comfortably stayed up.

And got them to a Leinster final, even if (like everyone else) they were annihilated by Dublin.

Intriguing if he goes to Derry. Malachy must have turned them down.

1 Like

Didnt he give a character reference for a rapist

I don’t know to be honest

This is extraordinary news to come home to after my Monday night Tennis match.

Malachy is some man of integrity. He’s not going let anything get in the way of Glen.

4 Likes

Slaughtneil were mad to get Mickey on board this year so i dont see any lack of buy in from Derry. Chrissy will definitely give it another go now.

They know they are very close and now have a serial winner in charge.

+1. They were 11th in the country based on the league this year. Scalped the likes of Meath, Kildare and Cork. A fair achievement given they didn’t have any real notable underage success to build upon aside from maybe a Leinster minor final appearance back around 2017. Sam Mulroy was talking about winning a Leinster in the next few years. This will set them back a long way.

Mickey to Derry is controversial but it’s a good appointment to keep them in the upper echelons. They’re very close right now. A box office Ulster championship and All-Ireland series next year with McGuinness back in Donegal too. A few Dublin retirements and it’s extremely open.

There were at least 2 other former intercounty managers approached who turned the job down. I’m not sure what their panic was getting Harte in, they should have spent another while looking.

Malachy O’Rourke and Rochford i presume?

Joe Brolly could have a conniption over this.

Louth should go the full hog now and appoint Rory Gallagher. I wouldnt put it past them…

I would have definitely been calling for Harte for the Donegal job before McGuinness was linked with the post. I doubt he could take a team to an all ireland again, which is the kind of manager Derry should be trying to get.

Horan was supposed to be one of them but he had already committed to Mayo U20s.

1 Like

The Big Dog thinks a bad move for Derry

Derry have blinked here

He might give Rory Gallagher a character reference too

Might not be a done deal yet at all this, there was a bit of a row with the clubs when Gallagher was given the job due to lack of consultation but this time it could be worse. Some Derry clubs not at all pleased about matters. Wonder if Louth let the cat out of the bag by accident or design.

1 Like

Totally by design.

A lovely pious statement with a big dagger in the middle.

I really hope so

1 Like

Disappointing to say the least. The county board must have decided to match the cynicism and dishonesty of kerry, j clifford, joe mcquillan etc

9 Likes

:smile::smile::smile: