GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

There was hype around loughnane in Galway.

Remember they met Clare in a qualifier under him.

The whole country stood still to watch.

Both teams made about 9 changes as the ball was about to be thrown in.

Great times.

2 Likes

I would have the same opinion. Hes absolutely poisonous to a county. He can go on the late late and give out aboit bullys when he is one himself. That getting people to go behind the backs of another manager is scandalous

1 Like

Loughnane was proper box office, Davy wouldn’t lace his boots. I think he got the Galway lads to do a big dramatic walk from O’Connell street into Cusack Park too that day (2007 maybe).

2 Likes

I have some recollection that he only named the team in the huddle a few minutes before throw in. That way he had them all wired and no lads mentally tuned out.

Loughnane was box office with the mind games. Dummy teams, warm ups all done in tracksuits, putting subs in the prematch parade/line to meet the dignitaries.

4 Likes

That was a woeful game of hurling for a finish.

In fairness to them, they wired into Galway for 65 minutes a few weeks later before Kilkenny got a late goal and kicked for home.

1 Like

That was a lovely double header of quarter finals in Croke park over a weekend. Wex beating Tipp and KK beating Galway on the Sat. Then on the Sunday it was Limerick beating Clare and Cork/Waterford drawing.

Outside managers never work anywhere except Offaly

Who could forget Damien fitzhenry legging it back in to goals with tears in his eyes after burying the penalty.

If it wasn’t for the net that ball would still be travelling today.

Dan Shanahan scored a lovely goal that day for Waterford.

There goes Mickey Harte.

The fall of Derry will be as quick as their rise.

Brolly will be delighted

Mickey Harte stepping down

Nah, they have a conveyor of talent coming through. The next appointment however, will be key.

1 Like

Ah it won’t. They’ve won 3 minor All-Ireland’s in the last 5 years. They’re in rude health in the medium long-term I would’ve said.

1 Like

Davy
Henry
Mickey
Andy

Kiely next?

Twas horrible chief, the end of Eamon Corcoran

1 Like

'07 was a mad championship. Semplegate. Limerick-Tipp trilogy. Babs dropping Cummins and Kelly, then going on the radio to complain “lads these days are too educated” after Wexford beat them. Tony Considine dropping Davy. The Clare county board trying to sack Considine. Loughnane not telling the Galway lads the team. Brian Begley. We got five goals and Dan the man got none.

Maybe the last great championship before the analysts and media training took over.

15 Likes

Eamon Corcoran played in 2008.

He went off as a blood sub v Waterford and Paddy Stapleton hurled unreal before having to go back off again.

1 Like