GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Off to Leitrim apparently,big money involved.(According to Boxty)

1 Like

When did Paul Kelly finish up with Tipp? Himself and Corcoran circa 2001/2002 are possibly my favourite wing back pairing ever.

He was injured for 2010 and did water with Woodlock.

Possibly hung around for 2011 but i cant remember.

Was paddy Stapleton a good player?

Did he win a Fitz with UL during the recession when they ended up with a team full of I/C hurlers in their late 20s circa 2011?

It was Davy’s finest ever coaching display IMHO that he got LIT within touching distance of the Fitz that year.

1 Like

He did.

1. I was at it below in Carriganore.

LIT had Canning and Callanan missing through injury. Big Bernard Gaffney led their attack.

2 Likes

I don’t think they made any subs that day as they simply didn’t have lads to bring on against that UL behemoth.

He was very good at his best.

Not the longest inter county career but getting that Munster Club with Borris towards the end of his Club days was nice.

It was mad the way there around 2014-2016, once lads hit 30 at all they were written off.

Eoin Kelly Woodlock, Shane McGrath, Conor O’Mahony and Paddy Stapleton were all effectively done at 30 or 31. On the Kilkenny side then, Tommy Walsh, JJ Delaney, Richie Power were likewise.

The young lads breaking through were just too good.

2 Likes

Stapleton had a fine game in the 2014 drawn final from what I remember

2 Likes

He had. Everyone played well in that game.

That high catch and the point late on were iconic.

Brian Begley??

All the goals v Waterford.

If I’m not mistaken Kieran Donagh sprung to prominence in 07 too.

Kerry started launching it in long to him that year.

1 Like

'06. The qualifier against Longford in Killarney was where they moved him to full forward. He did wreck against Armagh in the quarter-final, he finished Francie Bellew. The aggression and directness in his play was something to behold, he was an untameable animal, but he had a serious football brain too.

There’s something primal about a big powerful full forward who can catch a ball and turn around and burst the net. Peter Withnell. Vinnie Murphy. Donaghy. Drogba types. There will always be a place in the game for that, it’s just that most coaches now refuse to acknowledge it.

2 Likes

Sorry. That was the year Meath
Bait Tyrone wasn’t it?

Setanta o hailpin

Tommy Walsh was particularly perplexing. Was 30/31 in 2014 and Cody seemed to completely freeze him out. Given the force of nature he’d been just a couple of years earlier it was a very sudden departure. Coincidentally his brother Padraig really earned a spot for himself that same 2014 season. Is Tommy still hurling senior with Tullaroan? He was a box office full-forward on that intermediate run in 2019/20.

Meath beat Tyrone in the 2007 quarter-final. Laois knocked Tyrone out in 2006 in the qualifiers.

2 Likes

I’m getting my years
Mixed up.

Sorry.

Tommy is manager I think.

1 Like

I thought they were going to sneak a senior there for a brief period when the stars aligned and they reached two consecutive semi-finals in 2020 and 21’.