GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

My bad, is Paul Flynn involved with anyone these days?

Speaking of Mount Sion, fair win the weekend over Ballygunner. Ballygunner were favorites to win that. Who do you fancy to win Waterford now? Fourmilewater have an outside chance?

Surprised Kildare didn’t make a move for Rainbow to manage an underage team. He is supposed to be a serious trainer and highly thought of in Carlow.

[quote=“carryharry, post: 155147”]

Surprised Kildare didn’t make a move for Rainbow to manage an underage team. He is supposed to be a serious trainer and highly thought of in Carlow.[/quote]
More money in Carlow. Kildare are bankrupt.

flesh that out a bit mate

considering that its an amateur sport and amateur footballers are fitter than amateur gga players what exactly do you mean by serious trainer

also how would he be better or worse than other lads that take their hobby seriously?

Years of playing Intercounty for Kildare and his physical training through the Army makes him stand out apparently TASE.

intercounty training is just amateur training-its nothing impressive in the slightest

i guess the army training might give him an advantage if the Irish army are trained well but I have my doubts

Jason Ryan was on the newstalk panle on Saturday and was asked if he’d be interested in the Dublin job. Had flat out rejected the possibility of taking a number of other positions but not the Dublin one. Talked around it in a manner that suggests he’d jump at the chance of offered.

Of course he would. It’d be some slap in the face to Dublin GAA circles if they went outside on this one especially. He wont get it.

Jim Gavin is a cert to take over im told. Surely they won’t look past him after his work with the U21’s.

Anyone heard anything further on the next Tipp Senior Hurling manager, im told its Eamon O’Shea’s if he wants it. Would be a good choice but i can’t help wondering whether the transition from coach to manager will suit him.
He would need a really good backround team with him, that would be key to his success.

Something tells me Ken Hogan will end up getting it though yet.

A return for Tommy Carr??

Would be a surprise if O’Shea got involved again. They’d a job to convince him to go back it in 2010. Stranger things have happened though and Kilkenny’s increased vulnerability is bound to make lads thinks there are All Irelands there to be won over the next few years.

There is more chance of a backroom team of Mick Lyons, Colm O’Rourke and Paidi O’Se being offered the post and appointed!

Jim Gavin, Dessie Farrell, Ian Roberston, Paul Curran, Mick Deegan would all have to refuse it before they would even get around to looking at an outsider. If they did want an outsider, they d probably look at Gerry McEntee former meath player and very involved with St Brigids in Blanchardstown.

is Conor Counihan staying on?

they have made a poor enough fist of winning a 2nd all ireland title under him. Time to give Teddy Holland a shot at it?!

[quote=“kerry1891, post: 155158”]is Conor Counihan staying on?

they have made a poor enough fist of winning a 2nd all ireland title under him. Time to give Teddy Holland a shot at it?![/quote]

Hi Somehorse, welcome back. Never ha the tactical nous in my opinion. Probably bet in te main challengers being Dublin and Kerry an felt once they were fit and injury free they’d be better than either. Poor management not to have the boys ready for Donegal and to play into their hands if truth is told. Never the less he I a gentleman and was a very good manager in many other ways.

Unfortunately I don’t think the nest Cork managers are in the running fir the job. Not sure about Cleary, the 21’s and Senior are completely different ball games.

Teddy Holland? Cleary is guaranteed the job when Counihan steps down. Think Counihan will need to be pushed, too much pride to leave on a losing note.

Maybe an addition/change of a selector or two for Cork to introduce a bit more tactical nous under Counihan? I think the Cork footballers have fallen a long way short of getting the best out of this group of players.

Agree to an extent, injuries got them last year, but this year they were just beaten by a better team. Now maybe under another manager that would not happen, who knows, but management is part of the whole package and very important and overall Donegal win that hands down, can’t really complain about that. They will win another one.

A return where? He must be one of the most over-rated managers in the history of the GAA. I’d have more faith in Bunny Carr to be honest.

Counihan will stay i reckon, unfinished business and all that.

Would Cork posters agree that no6 is a position that needs urgent work? I respect Graham Canty hugely, a Cork man through & through and a gentleman im told but i think he is past it for intercounty standard now. Donegal made hay up the middle in beating Cork and to be honest as bad as Cork were they are imo a better all round team than Donegal. They were very one dimensional against Donegal and i think a combo of poor tactics and the manager sticking with players he should not have combined to beat them.

Whether results show it this year, i still think Cork would be 1 of the top 2 teams in Ireland right now.

[quote=“carryharry, post: 155164”]

Counihan will stay i reckon, unfinished business and all that.

Would Cork posters agree that no6 is a position that needs urgent work? I respect Graham Canty hugely, a Cork man through & through and a gentleman im told but i think he is past it for intercounty standard now. Donegal made hay up the middle in beating Cork and to be honest as bad as Cork were they are imo a better all round team than Donegal. They were very one dimensional against Donegal and i think a combo of poor tactics and the manager sticking with players he should not have combined to beat them.

Whether results show it this year, i still think Cork would be 1 of the top 2 teams in Ireland right now.[/quote]
Cork have been top 3 for the past 5 years or more, its still only got them one Sam, it should be more.