GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Canty wouldn’t be an issue with 2 more mobile and less ponderous half backs. I don’t think he is the issue at all. Management left Noel O’ Leary in the corner in the 2nd half, completely exposed and out of position. If for no otter reason John Cleary will give guys like John O Rourke. Alan Cronin and Jamie Wall a chance. JO’R has played half forward all his life but has been Carbery Rangers bet player 2 games running from centre back in County Championship. I would put Ciaran Sheehan centre back flanked by Wall and either O’Rourke or Denis O Sullivan ( but I fear he is just a younger Kissane). I would also try Alan Cronin corner back which is a trouble position. That adds an awful lot of speed an dynamism to the Cork backs. They might, in fact they will, lack experience but only one way ti het it. A league title is hardly a priority anyway. I would also sacrifice Munster somewhat if needs be to get these types of players up to pace.

I’m just not sure how much Cleary wants it. All he has been involved with fir a few years now is 21’s as far as I’m aware and he has refused quite a few jobs in recent times.

You’re hanging off the or more bit there coz 5/3 is 1.66. You can’t have 0.66 of an All Ireland.

[quote=“carryharry, post: 155164”] Cork were they are imo a better all round team than Donegal. They were very one dimensional against Donegal and i think a combo of poor tactics and the manager sticking with players he should not have combined to beat them.

Whether results show it this year, i still think Cork would be 1 of the top 2 teams in Ireland
right now.
[/quote]

They have been very one dimensional for quite a few years. I don’t think you can rank them in the top 2 though. They have a panel of players the envy of probably every manager in the county but are underachieving.

Numbers 1&2 are playing this Sunday, simple as.

Forum favourite Ewan MacKenna would disagree.

Tommy Carr was his name when he played for Dublin…think he changed to Tom Carr for some reason when he became Dublin manager… :strokechin:

when he was in charge of dublin, he couldnt win a leinster title. However the players including the leading players like dessie farrell fought tooth and nail to save him from the axe but couldnt prevent it. Was popular with that squad of players even though they were not successful

Eamon O Shea out of the running in Tipp? Time to get onto Babs.

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=177762

Nicky, Eamon O’Shea, Liam Sheedy all out of the running.

A return for Ken Hogan on the cards?

Nicky and Liam are being promoted in their jobs so thats them out of the running.

The job is Eamon O’Shea’s if he wants it but will work commitments hinder him? Possibly so its 50-50 whether he will accept.

The logical choice if the 3 above decline is Ken Hogan. He took the job way too early the last time and in fairness to the man his record has being pretty impressive since. Plus he would have worked with the bulk of the existing squad at underage levels.
If Ken gets the gig, expect to see to see Liam Sheedy’s brother John involved in the set up. I read in an interview a while back that Ken has loads of time for him and his work with Portroe winning a first North title this year will not be overlooked imo.

Yeah Hogan did well with the Tipp under 21s and getting coolderry to an all ireland club final was a massive achievement.

He got buckets of abuse when he was last in charge of Tipp. i wonder would he put himself forward again?

He had zero experience the last time, only what he had picked up as selector under Nicky.

He’s a different animal now and well capable imo of sorting alot of issues out within the Tipperary dressing room.

O’Shea is no1 choice for most within the County but Ken imo is the only other viable option if O’Shea can’t do the job.

Be interested to hear picks of other posters outside Eamon & Ken. They are limited.

I think there’s only one man who should be considered to be honest - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgBRX42K_tY#t=11m30s

I’ve already said Babs should be the man. They’d do well to ask him right away.

We’re not quiet Sheep in a Heap just yet MBB. ( All bar our respected Indo columnist maybe ) :wink:

[size=“2”]Please, Please, Please let Colm Bonnar or John No Neck be the next Tipp manager
:popcorn: :licklips:

Tipperary could consider looking outside the county for their next senior hurling manager after Eamon O’Shea became the latest candidate to rule himself out for the position.

Like Nicky English and Liam Sheedy, the Kilruane McDonagh man has cited work commitments in NUI Galway as the reason for his unavailability.

Tipperary chairman Seán Nugent has stressed that the circumstances of one candidate might change but speculation in the county has now shifted to Galway and Offaly manager John McIntyre and ex-Wexford boss and Waterford selector Colm Bonnar.

Earlier this month, Nugent said they were confident of appointing a Tipperary native to succeed Declan Ryan.

However, the Irish Examiner now understands the selection committee have not ruled out the possibility of approaching somebody from outside the county.

Nugent, when contacted yesterday, communicated a brief statement on the process.

“There is nothing to report at this time regarding the Tipperary senior hurling manager,” he said. “It’s a work in progress and the committee responsible are exploring every possibility to ensure that a manager and management team will be put in place who will have the ability, knowledge and experience to lead Tipperary back to the top of the hurling ladder.”

Although he is expected to continue for another season with Dublin, Anthony Daly has yet to be ratified.

Clare’s two-time All-Ireland winning captain has worked alongside former Tipperary captain Richard Stakelum for the past four seasons.

Tipperary have never appointed a manager from outside the county and it is known to be an avenue many would be reluctant to go down.

Meanwhile, Nugent has sent a letter to Tipperary’s referees assuring them they will be given their match fees as per previous years.

The chairman explained following concern among officials that they might have to provide Personal Public Service (PPS) numbers after discussions between Revenue and Croke Park.

Nugent insists they aren’t obliged to although stated they must furnish mileage incurred and their vehicle capacity.

While he pointed out that as the fees are deemed expenses they have no impact on welfare benefits.

"Referees expenses will be paid in the normal way in Tipperary in 2012, referees have nothing to fear from any new arrangements in place.

"Tipperary County Board in common with all other county boards are obliged by agreements made between Croke Park and the Revenue Commissioners to keep properly documented records on all financial transactions including referees expenses and will be obeying that directive.

"Part of that record keeping will include referees report forms showing mileage to and from games and mileage incurred in collecting umpires and leaving them home. The car CC (cubic centimetres) must also be included.

"Referees expenses are just that [expenses], they are not an income and have no relevance to job seekers benefit, medical cards or other welfare entitlements.

"Referees may voluntary provide their PPS number but are not obliged to do so. There will be no income tax implications for referees.

"Tipperary County Board greatly values the contribution made by referees in the county through their role in officiating at our games.

“The agreement reached between Revenue and the GAA is fair to all parties and we believe it will allow the existing arrangements to continue in relation to referees expenses.”[/size]

Yes Puke either of those two would be super candidates and would be heartily endorsed by every other county in Munster.

If either McIntyre or Bonnar get this position then i will be abstaining from Hurling for a couple of years. No offense to them as they wore the jerseys with distinction etc but they are not my idea of managers to lead Tipp forward.

Ken Hogan will be the new Senior manager. ( He fucking better be! )

And Leinster (incorporating Antrim and Galway).

Hogan is the man fir this. Why they ever went for Ryan I don’t know, but I had my reservations about Tommy Dunne as well and it was Hogan am not Dunne who was steering that u21 team.

O 'Se and others may have no interest in the ego’s that are on the panel. Looks very bad from the outside that nobody really wants to train such a talented bunch of hurlers.

This “citing work” lark is a load of bollix.