GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Indeed, as I pointed out a couple of years ago and you agreed with IIRC that talks of a Tipp dominating the hurling world on the back of the senior/21 A/I victory in 2010 was wide of the mark. The pick of that team were already hurling senior and they were going to have to replace some big players in the not too distant future. It has since came to pass

Disastrous appointment as tipp manager, fantastic coach and person but simply not capable of passing on the drive or ruthlessness required as a manager. Another Len gaynor

Why so? Relatively young team overall. You reckon there’ll be a lot of retirements?

Curran definitely shot his bolt this year as did Corbett and Kelly . Hard to find another 3 like those. Worrying signs for cummins and omahony also

Cummins has to go sometime, losing the goalie will not be the end of the panel. Wouldn’t agree with you on curran, thought he was solid up to the kk game and in that he was injured, I’d say he has two good seasons left, even then maher could go back or they’ll find a replacement. Corbett easily has another two seasons of managed correctly. Kelly has been sadly plagued by injuries who knows if it’s possible for him to get back to fitness, still not very old by modern standards.

All in all even if those named were all to retire tipp still have the makings of a top set of backs and a lethal set of forwards.

One of the biggest indictments of Tipp under Ryan was the failure to resolve the problems in the right flank of their defence. They might even have won the '11 All-Ireland if they had fixed that. If they don’t have the personnel to rectify weaknesses in those positions, you’d wonder how they’ll find a full-back, a centre-back, a new midfield, and leadership in the forwards to replace Corbett and Kelly.

Corbett is finished

So, what teams had he managed?

Is it the case that the belief in Tipp is that the current crop need someone to put an arm around the shoulders and that O’Shea is that man where’s Ryan didn’t want to be a mammy to them and prefered treat them as men

Surely someone like that only works in the background when you have an authoritarian such as sheedy in the primary role thus creating a good cop bad cop scenario.

I think the difference there is that O’Shea as a professor of economics was capable of communicating ideas in the manner people respect nowadays, whereas Declan Ryan couldn’t read.

In fairness, Ryan showed himself to be very erratic and not hugely tactically minded. I think o’shea will go a way to sorting those issues.

What age is o’mahony? He’ll be there a while yet. Two new midfielders needed? Really? O’meara is showing massive presence and full forward. I’d expect callinan to come back in and have a big impact next season (wait and see). And tipp still have a quality set of forwards without Kelly and Corbett. And I’m not so sure those two and curran are done.

O’Shea might find himself a victim of the law of diminishing marginal returns.

Shane McGrath looked more shot than Curran this year. Brendan Maher looks a pale shadow of the player he was in 2010. A lot of these forwards looked class when the main responsibility wasn’t falling on their shoulders, in the absence of the big guns we’ll get a better sense of what they’re made of.

In general the challenge for O’Shea is rebuilding the workrate that made their old game possible, and getting rid of the laziness engendered by the Declan Ryan approach of aimlessly webbing the ball downfield.

There is good quality there in fairness, but I’m not convinced the exceptional core of talent still is.

What tipp players outside of Noel McGrath would be in contention for an all star? This is the mun champs we are talking about

The story is that O’Shea is to be given control of the structures from the bottom up in a five year project.

Happy with this appointment.

Kilkenny and Galway will get a minimum of 12 between them.
Noel McGrath wouldn’t deserve one.

Five minutes in and the professor is already introducing failed economic theories. Alexei Stakhanov is the man the Tipperary players will be expected to model themselves on in 2013.

P Maher.

Not one deserves an All Star.

I would agree with this to a point.

A potential team to contend next for me would be,

Cummins
P Stapleton
P Maher
M Cahill
Tom Stapleton
C O’Mahony
Brendan Maher
Seamus Hennessey
Geroid Ryan
Bonnar Maher
Noel McGrath
Seamus Callinan
Pa Bourke
Buggy O’Meara
Lar Corbett

U21 players like John O’Dwyer, Justin Cahill and Brian Stapleton need to be introduced to the panel and soon to freshen things up.

Big question now is will Ken Hogan stay on with the U21’s or will O’Shea push for his selectors to get heavily involved with that team?

Contend what…? That lot would struggle to win Munster.