GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

dead right. Brady was a bit too anti county board without been able to come up with specifics. easy throw mud at them. I imagine the Mayo co board are doing their best with the resources they have now. If Brady came out and criticised the co board for biting off more than they could chew with the development of McHale Park fair enough but it was all just bluster from him

It’s a big problem for them. You would imagine a clear-out of the remaining ‘management team’ should follow but time is short for finding people to make that commitment. Since the last internal search turned up Michael Ryan and the two that were sacked before the championship began, you wouldn’t have much confidence in them finding a gem this time.

Cian O Neill as Kerry physical trainer and selector appears to be a done deal.

yep a good move for the kingdom.

on the other hand letting donie buckley go out of the backroom in the kingdom this year still does not sit easy with footballing folk in kerry. Jack O’Connor effectively replaced him with Fitzmaurice. Buckley is now helping Dr Crokes and they are flying especially Colm Cooper.

given that Buckley seems to be highly rated everywhere he has been it is difficult to fathom why he has no role with any kerry inter county team. surely he should be coaching the minors or under 21s if he is not wanted or required with the seniors

Buckley has taken over the role of director of underage football in Limerick, similar to role Jerry Wallace has taken with the hurlers.

Appointment of Tipperary Senior Hurling Management Team

posted 12 hours ago
by sites tipperary

Tipperary County Board Press Release - Appointment of Tipperary Senior Hurling Management Team

Tipperary County Board is pleased to announce that the County Management Committee has tonight agreed to nominate for approval by County Board the appointment of Michael Ryan and Paudie O’Neill to join Manager, Eamon O’Shea, on the senior hurling management team. Michael Ryan will take on the role of Assistant Manager, while Paudie O’Neill will have responsibility for coaching the team.

Michael Ryan from the Upperchurch Drombane club played 24 senior hurling championship games for Tipperary in a senior inter-county career that started in 1991 versus Limerick and ended with his retirement in 2000. He won Munster and All-Ireland SH championships in 1991. He won Munster and All Ireland U-21 hurling championships in 1989, a Munster U-21 hurling championship in 1990 and a Munster minor hurling championship in 1987. He also won two NHL titles in 1994 and 1999. He played for the Upperchurch Drombane club at all levels. Michael was previously a member of the Tipperary senior hurling management team from 2008 to 2010 during which time Tipperary won the All Ireland senior hurling championship in 2010, the Munster senior hurling championship in 2008 and 2009 and the Allianz Hurling League title in 2008.

Paudie O’Neill is a native of Clonmel and now resides in Dublin. He played hurling with St. Mary’s and football with Commercials in Clonmel and represented Tipperary at minor and under 21 level in hurling and at all levels in football. He also played senior hurling for Dublin. He has been heavily involved in the coaching of hurling at his school and with his club Ballyboden St. Enda’s; he has also coached and managed Dublin under 21 and minor hurling teams. Paudie played a leading role in the development and delivery of the GAA Coach Education Programme at national level and he has managed Irish teams in the annual Shinty/Hurling internationals.

Both Michael and Paudie bring great experience and ability to the Tipperary senior hurling management team and with Eamon O’Shea, they will provide strong leadership to the Tipperary senior hurlers. Tipperary County Board is delighted that they have made themselves available to take on these important and voluntary roles and we wish them every success.

Source: TipperaryGaa.ie

Anybody in Dublin GAA circles know anything about Paudie O’Neill? Never heard of this guy tbh.

Surely Eamon will take on another selector too?

[quote=“The Runt, post: 155310”]

Buckley has taken over the role of director of underage football in Limerick, similar to role Jerry Wallace has taken with the hurlers.[/quote]

That’s a great appointment. When did thus happen Runt? Not like us to be so progressive in underage coaching especially at football.

Within the last week.
Any of the lads I know who’ve trained under Buckley can’t speak highly enough of him.
I believe he will be doing a lot of “coaching the coach” sessions, which should be great for those interested.

[quote=“The Runt, post: 155313”]

Within the last week.
Any of the lads I know who’ve trained under Buckley can’t speak highly enough of him.
I believe he will be doing a lot of “coaching the coach” sessions, which should be great for those interested.[/quote]

A friends son is on the U-14 development squad for football. Says that the standard of coaching thus far has been terrible. Coach is primarily a hurling man and has to do the football because it’s his job. A few parents have taken sessions, most tbf would coach underage at club level but it’s far from ideal. Hopefully Buckley’s appointment improves things.

** BREAKING NEWS**

Cobh will be appointing a management team for next years attempt at the east cork JAFC that was last won in 1988
A decison will be taken at the AGM in december,.
A lot of drink was taken at the regular tuesday night committee meeting that took place at half time in the Faroes game, things were said, wives , families insulted, etc as is normal at this time of year and the existing management team have departed

ill be offline until late tonight or the early hours as i need to work for some product launch on thursday night where we are pitching a design to a government defense organisation but if i hear anything ill do my best to get a SMS or something to Kev / Mac / horsebox or one of the admin team regarding the frontrunners for the position

Make sure you do :popcorn: , although i am slightly disappointed you are putting work ahead of your journalistic TFK duties tbh. :shakefist:

wasnt aware of that Runt. It defo true? Good appointment if true. Be nice to see Limerick come with an underage team or two like Tipp have in recent times and the Limerick under 21 team that had Lucey, Galvin, Stokes, Begley and co. all them years back

Buckley is a Kerry man is he?

Yes, was involved last year with the Kerry senior set up. He lives in Ennis I believe. Heard a rumour yesterday that he was asked to get involved with coaching Mayo. Anyone got any info on this?

Ya it’s definitely true.

With regards to the Mayo role that was mentioned in the Leader during the week but I don’t know if there is any substance to it, also without Limerick seniors without a coach it would be a bit harsh for James Horan to be poaching his brothers best option!

aye. won an all ireland club with castleisland desmonds in the mid 1980s playing corner forward. seems every county has a role for him except kerry!!

@ MBB

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/laois-set-twoweek-deadline-as-they-step-up-manager-hunt-3285162.html

Any idea who is going to get this gig?

Teddy McCarthy was some disaster as Laois manager in fairness.

[quote=“carryharry, post: 155322”]@ MBB

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/laois-set-twoweek-deadline-as-they-step-up-manager-hunt-3285162.html

Any idea who is going to get this gig?[/quote][quote=“dodgy-keeper, post: 155323”]Teddy McCarthy was some disaster as Laois manager in fairness.[/quote]
When it comes to Laois GAA and hurling, anything is possible. Teddy was a disaster but its about time the players and clubs took some responsibility.

No real frontrunner save for John McEvoy.

What about Richie Bennis?