GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 820070, member: 273”]Seriously, Dublin entertained Pillar Caffery for how many years? And you have the cheek to slag off other counties management choices?
[/quote]
Four years, and Pillar kept us entertained too as his team brought the buzz back to the Hill with their exciting brand of football. Still a popular figure with Dublin supporters.

You were talking about Laois and their treatment of managers, which there is no particular evidence of and generally ranting about them without any reason.

Dublin kept an absolute joke of a manager for 4 years, so any GAA person from there has a cheek to slag, ridicule or rant about any other county.

Maybe Laois could have done better a few years ago, but when you look at McNultyd reign as a whole I doubt anyone would have done better.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 820139, member: 273”]

Dublin kept an absolute joke of a manager for 4 years, so any GAA person from there has a cheek to slag, ridicule or rant about any other county.
.[/quote]
Go on, flesh that out a bit. You can’t just leave us hanging here like that.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 820139, member: 273”]

Maybe Laois could have done better a few years ago, but when you look at McNultyd reign as a whole I doubt anyone would have done better.[/quote]
His record in Leinster sticks out like a sore thumb, but in the Qualfiers he got the job done, even if his tactics against Dublin and Donegal were far too defensive and could be argued that both sides were there for the taking on each occasion had a bit more bravery in the game plan been employed. The performance against Kildare also was a blot.

However he brought great professionalism to the table and in the likes of Barry Solan he spotted talented backroom men and employed them which will stand to Laois in the next 2-3 years. He also cleared out and exposed one or two buffers in the set up, which he is to be thanked for.

But you still can’t ignore Kildare, Longford and Louth tactics, performances and sideline inactivity. Possibly came up short tactically overall and will most likely be a better manager as a result of his time in Laois. Best of luck to him and his honeypot. Not the worst sort.

He was a farce, trying every lame Amatuer sport psychology move there has ever been. One read of the “Blue Book” tells you all you need to know. A bluffer of the highest degree made worse by the antics he had his players at goading opposition etc. that was more Aussie Rules and a Stain on the sport and Dublin GAA in general, they were an embarrassment an the fact that so many of them didn’t do it before or after him says it all.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 820121, member: 183”]

. Best of luck to him and his honeypot. Not the worst sort.[/quote]

hold on…did you not used to have ‘McNulty out’ at the bottom of all your posts for months??..

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 820139, member: 273”]You were talking about Laois and their treatment of managers, which there is no particular evidence of and generally ranting about them without any reason.

.[/quote]

he was limited alright but to say he was joke of a manager is ridiculous…
3 leinster titles in 4 years and started Dublins stranglehold there…you are so clueless its embarrassing at this stage…with his club he won Dublin championships…he also set an underage structure in Na Fianna that seen them come from nowhere and win 3 dublin minor championships in a row…I can’t stress this enough kev - you are the greatest bullshitter I ever came across…

[quote=“scumpot, post: 820165, member: 182”]he was limited alright but to say he was joke of a manager is ridiculous…
3 leinster titles in 4 years and started Dublins stranglehold there…you are so clueless its embarrassing at this stage…with his club he won Dublin championships…he also set an underage structure in Na Fianna that seen them come from nowhere and win 3 dublin minor championships in a row…I can’t stress this enough kev - you are the greatest bullshitter I ever came across…[/quote]
Have you read the Blue Book, Kev? I wasn’t aware it was on public sale.

4 Leinster titles in 4 years actually. Dublin had won 1 of the previous 9 Leinster titles.

Came very close to beating Tyrone at their absolute peak in 2005 and very close to beating Kerry at their absolute peak in 2007 with clearly inferior teams.

Unlucky that Alan Brogan got injured very early twice in matches where Dublin lost to Tyrone.

Also apparently the only manager in the history of the GAA to employ a motivational tool and get into an altercation (not of his own making) with a member of an opposition management team.

Undoubtedly a good manager.

[quote=“scumpot, post: 820165, member: 182”]he was limited alright but to say he was joke of a manager is ridiculous…
3 leinster titles in 4 years and started Dublins stranglehold there…you are so clueless its embarrassing at this stage…with his club he won Dublin championships…he also set an underage structure in Na Fianna that seen them come from nowhere and win 3 dublin minor championships in a row…I can’t stress this enough kev - you are the greatest bullshitter I ever came across…[/quote]

You shouldn’t stress about it too much. Nobody cares

Everything you mentioned there I irrelevant. I’m judging him as an IC manager. For you to be waving provincial titles around to support him is laughable. This is Dublin we’re on about, only All Ireland’s matter. His team (a very talented team btw) were so easily rattled outside Leinster it was criminal, and he made it easy for everyone to get motivated for Dublin. His complete ignorance of Ciaran McDonnells role for Mayo was junior football management. He got it all wrong what management is about.

There are people everywhere doing what you say he did with Na Fianna, just because he because an IC manager later doesn’t make it anymore of an achievement.

Do you know Na Fianna by any chance? How many of those Minors are still playing, just out of curiosity.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 820178, member: 273”] His complete ignorance of Ciaran McDonnells role for Mayo was junior football management. He got it all wrong what management is about.

[/quote]
Mickey Harte was no more than a junior football manager so.

I got sent extracts from it before. Read the rules again recently when some idiot S & C on FB thought it was great stuff altogether. It’s cring worthy.

so you think Dublin have a devine right to talk about all Irelands only eventhough they have only won 2 since mid 80’s ??..are you for real??..
Dublin weren’t an exceptionally talented team under Caffrey…they were a very honest team…they weren’t near Kerry or Tyrone…

Have no idea what you are on about.

you’ve no idea what you are on about…start there…

[quote=“scumpot, post: 820185, member: 182”]so you think Dublin have a devine right to talk about all Irelands only eventhough they have only won 2 since mid 80’s ??..are you for real??..
Dublin weren’t an exceptionally talented team under Caffrey…they were a very honest team…they weren’t near Kerry or Tyrone…[/quote]

So you are saying he was deliousional at least?

That’s obvious. Harte completely failed to curb the threat of Ciaran McDonald in the 2004 quarter-final. He ran the game and Mayo won comfortably as a result. Perhaps Harte is also a junior standard manager?

will you just answer the question you waffler…how can you say only All Ireland’s matter in Dublin when they have won 3 in 30 years??..sid said Dublin had won 1 leinster title in previous 9 years before caffrey…take a deep breathe and just think about that…they went on to win leisnter for next 4 years…how you can’t see that as progress is baffling quite frankly…

[quote=“scumpot, post: 820185, member: 182”]so you think Dublin have a devine right to talk about all Irelands only eventhough they have only won 2 since mid 80’s ??..are you for real??..
Dublin weren’t an exceptionally talented team under Caffrey…they were a very honest team…they weren’t near Kerry or Tyrone…[/quote]
That Caffrey managed to get so close to Tyrone and Kerry with teams containing Paul Casey, Stephen O’Shaughnessy, Paddy Andrews, Coman Goggins, Kevin Bonner, Colin Moran, Ross McConnell, Darren Magee and Tomas Quinn is quite the credit to him.

Dublin were significantly behind Tyrone and Kerry in terms of talent during Caffrey’s tenure.

Caffrey also turned Shane Ryan into one of the game’s best midfielders.

Or Shane Ryan turned himself into one?

he wasn’t picking the team mate…he started as a wing back with Dublin…hope that clears it up for you…