GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Embarrassing to see Kev get the run around like this from 2 alco’s

Where’d you hear about that? You’d wonder if there was anything a manager could do if he was owed a heap of money from a county board?

Chances are a share of the money is unde table payments of some form so the manager wouldn’t exactly be in a position to go roaring and shouting about it.

Being from Cork it’s hardly surprising that Kev thinks the players pick the team themselves.

[quote=“TreatyStones, post: 820204, member: 1786”]Where’d you hear about that? You’d wonder if there was anything a manager could do if he was owed a heap of money from a county board?

Chances are a share of the money is unde table payments of some form so the manager wouldn’t exactly be in a position to go roaring and shouting about it.[/quote]
Wondered as much about it myself. A Kildare gent mentioned it to me.

You mean you read the extracts from it in the Indo?

@caoimhaoin[/USER] - do you have anything to say in response to @[USER=183]Sidney 's comment on Pillar’s 4 Leinsters in 4 years following Dublin’s 1 in 9, with regard to your comment on Pillar being ‘an absolute joke of a manager’?

I’ll take this one @farmerinthecity

‘You just don’t get it do you?’

Another midweek drunk jumps in against Kev. The lads must have discussed this in the early house this morning.

And dont forget, mac used to be the regular Sunday night drunk.

all we need is @briantinnion to pile in and everyone will know this attack was planned by the Monday club…

Used to be? :frowning:

You’re a new man of late mate. Don’t think its gone unnoticed.

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 820220, member: 180”]You’re a new man of late mate. Don’t think its gone unnoticed.[/quote]

how would it?..what else have you got to do with yourself down in that basement??..Winter is coming…[/quote]

Ya, I think leinsters were pretty easy pickings for the squad he had and he Let the hype get to them every time and was a bluffer. His carry on was as obvious as I’ve ever seen of a manager who knew he didn’t have the skills and was trying to gloss over it with all their bull shit. Had he concentrated in other coaching and tactical accumulation he’d have been much better off that this blue book bull shit and encouraging goading and bumping into opposite coaches. I mean what the fuck? Mayo were laughing at him. Sid keeps saying Kerry and Tyrone, but ignores the wushu washy Mayo who beat Dublin when they were a genuine chance.

If pillar was from anywhere but Dublin the 2 drunks would have every pun and bad joke used up for a life time. Dublin managers are judged on winning All Ireland’s, nothing else. To say anything else is to simply argue for the sake of it and because I made the comment.
Not sure I can be any clearer.

Sid - If he was responsible for Shane Ryan fulfilling his potential was he also responsible for Whelan not fulfilling his?

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 820225, member: 273”]Ya, I think leinsters were pretty easy pickings for the squad he had and he Let the hype get to them every time and was a bluffer. His carry on was as obvious as I’ve ever seen of a manager who knew he didn’t have the skills and was trying to gloss over it with all their bull shit. Had he concentrated in other coaching and tactical accumulation he’d have been much better off that this blue book bull shit and encouraging goading and bumping into opposite coaches. I mean what the fuck? Mayo were laughing at him. Sid keeps saying Kerry and Tyrone, but ignores the wushu washy Mayo who beat Dublin when they were a genuine chance.

If pillar was from anywhere but Dublin the 2 drunks would have every pun and bad joke used up for a life time. Dublin managers are judged on winning All Ireland’s, nothing else. To say anything else is to simply argue for the sake of it and because I made the comment.

Sid - If he was responsible for Shane Ryan fulfilling his potential was he also responsible for Whelan not fulfilling his?[/quote]

So you’ve basically defined all Pillars time in charge by ,arguably his worst performance on the line, the match against Mayo in 2006…stop making a fool of yourself…

I can’t help it if you can’t read.

In fairness to you, you’re well able to spot this kind of stuff. I wonder why.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 820225, member: 273”]Ya, I think leinsters were pretty easy pickings for the squad he had and he Let the hype get to them every time and was a bluffer. His carry on was as obvious as I’ve ever seen of a manager who knew he didn’t have the skills and was trying to gloss over it with all their bull shit. Had he concentrated in other coaching and tactical accumulation he’d have been much better off that this blue book bull shit and encouraging goading and bumping into opposite coaches. I mean what the fuck? Mayo were laughing at him. Sid keeps saying Kerry and Tyrone, but ignores the wushu washy Mayo who beat Dublin when they were a genuine chance.

Sid - If he was responsible for Shane Ryan fulfilling his potential was he also responsible for Whelan not fulfilling his?[/quote]
There’s only one person here who’s arguing for the sake of it.

This is just a guess, but I’d say Caffrey must have put at least some thought into coaching and tactical accumulation, otherwise Dublin wouldn’t have made such progress under his management. Or perhaps it was the Blue Book alone that brought about that progress?

As I said Caffrey was far from the only manager to employ motivational techniques. Joe Kernan was praised widely for showing Any Given Sunday to the Armagh team before the 2002 final, and getting Muhammad Ali to send a message to the team. Then in 2003, Armagh had some sort of satanic symbol on their jerseys to symbolise strength and togetherness. I don’t think those things contributed to Armagh winning an All-Ireland, but hey, if they felt it was worthwhile, who am I to argue? If Mickey Harte did something similar in 2003 with each Tyrone player having a personalised CD of motivational music made for them and I’m sure there are plenty of other examples that I’m not aware of. If those teams had lost, would those motivational tools have been the reason? Hardly. The Blue Book was nothing different to any of those things and was simply used as a stick to beat Caffrey with because Dublin lost to Tyrone in 2008.

Ciaran Whelan was a brilliantly talented player playing with an averagely-talented team. That is the main reason he didn’t win the All-Ireland medal his talents were more than worthy of. No different really to the many other superb players who didn’t win one. Alan Brogan if he had been born three years earlier would have met the same fate. He was just lucky enough to be still young enough to still be around when Dublin were able to bring through more talented players. Whelan sadly wasn’t.

I’m quite baffled as to the comment about what my reaction would have been if Pillar had been from anywhere but Dublin. Clearly Kev now counts mind reading amongst his powers.

help yourself and just jog on…you’ve been badly exposed once again…you fail to mention that Mayo were the only team to knock Pillar’s Dublin out of championship that didn’t go on to win the All Ireland…That is why @Sidney mentions Kerry and tyrone …the two best teams of the decade both beat Pillars Dublin twice en route to Sam…but you put Dublin not winning Sam down to hype…you haven’t a clue…

Years of coaching (making mistakes), study, learning from good successful coaches.

That kinda thing