GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 820502, member: 273”]He became very selfish at times and would go missing in big games. He had alot of good games, but underperformed an awful lot too.

Not sure why he is bringing Keith Barr up, most people appreciated his skills. Bizarre selection.

But anyway, it’s been fun seeing the 2 Dubs flapping around.[/quote]

well I have listed two games - one when he was a debutant and one when he was a veteran when he was leading the charge on days when others were missing on a sinking ship. He performed in far more big games than he was poor.

During his time Kerry had an outstanding team. Kerry would have been delighted to have him at midfield. He got a few screamers of goals for Dublin that Dara O’Se as good as he was could only dream of

Every team is set targets. If you can’t deal with not making targets, you won’t deal with playing in Croke Park.

[quote=“kerry1891, post: 820513, member: 1379”]well I have listed two games - one when he was a debutant and one when he was a veteran when he was leading the charge on days when others were missing on a sinking ship. He performed in far more big games than he was poor.

During his time Kerry had an outstanding team. Kerry would have been delighted to have him at midfield. He got a few screamers of goals for Dublin that Dara O’Se as good as he was could only dream of[/quote]

remember him kicking 2 points from wing forwrad in ´96 leisnter final in the rain against Meath in his debut season…remember him kicking good few points from out on the right against donegal in a replay in croker about 10 years ago…he used to love kicking points from way out on the right…

You are just not getting it.

Look it obviously wasn’t the sole reason they didn’t win, but IMO it was one reason. The creation if it was misguided and uninformed. That on top of everything else =Pullar being a bluffer.

Look my comment was on why pillar didn’t get the best out of Whelan when Sid claimed he was responsible for Shane Ryan becoming the player he was. Whelan played plenty good games, I believe he was never consistent Enough

This is very predictable fare from Kev.

[quote=“Mac, post: 820214, member: 109”]I’ll take this one @farmerinthecity

‘You just don’t get it do you?’[/quote]

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 820523, member: 273”]You are just not getting it.

Look it obviously wasn’t the sole reason they didn’t win, but IMO it was one reason. The creation if it was misguided and uninformed. That on top of everything else =Pullar being a bluffer.[/quote]

But you don’t Sid, but that’s ok, cos you’re not involved in sport so nobody is going to suffer from your ignorance.

I am not fully into or taking sides in your row with others here Kev but am making a few points I believe to be pertinent.

Shane Ryan was a good player under any manager he served in my opinion. Suffered a bit cos of his versatility. I d say he filled every jersey from number 2 to 12 at some stage in his Dublin football career. I d also reckon Shane Ryan was the person most responsible for making himself the player he was. Very committed and a team player. Linking Pillar’s managerial record with Ryan is difficult to assess. I have a recollection of Dublin fans giving Pillar stick for substituting Ryan in that classic All Ireland semi final they lost to Mayo. The way I recall it Ryan was playing very well and was substituted and his substitution coincided with Mayo’s comeback. Dubs mite be able to confirm or refute if my recollection is accurate

[quote=“kerry1891, post: 820529, member: 1379”]I am not fully into or taking sides in your row with others here Kev but am making a few points I believe to be pertinent.

Shane Ryan was a good player under any manager he served in my opinion. Suffered a bit cos of his versatility. I d say he filled every jersey from number 2 to 12 at some stage in his Dublin football career. I d also reckon Shane Ryan was the person most responsible for making himself the player he was. Very committed and a team player. Linking Pillar’s managerial record with Ryan is difficult to assess. I have a recollection of Dublin fans giving Pillar stick for substituting Ryan in that classic All Ireland semi final they lost to Mayo. The way I recall it Ryan was playing very well and was substituted and his substitution coincided with Mayo’s comeback. Dubs mite be able to confirm or refute if my recollection is accurate[/quote]

That was my point, Sid stupidly used Shane Ryan as an example of Pillar making a top player of someone. Ryan did it himself, and most people know that. The fact a Dublin supporter doesn’t is surprising. I used Whelan to counter. I don’t think Pullar had anything much to do with either getting the best (or not) out of themselves as evidence shows these guys were similar under all managements.

You are right about Mayo game from memory.

According to the Indo, Derek McGrath is the preferred candidate to replace Michael Ryan as the Waterford manager

That’s DSL/Mullane driven. But nevertheless he is a very good coach by all accounts and it’s great that they are promoting one of their own who isn’t a famous hurler, he’s getting it because of his actual skills. Good to see and a very positive step for Waterford if true.

I’d imagine its driven by Moran rather thanMullane to be honest. But I would have no problem either way as long as he has a decent back room team.

Ya, forgot about Moran being DLS as well. Maybe Mullane will become a selector?
Has he hurled well this year at club?

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 820589, member: 273”]Ya, forgot about Moran being DLS as well. Maybe Mullane will become a selector?
Has he hurled well this year at club?[/quote]
Moran teaches with McGrath as well and would be part of the DLS school backroom team. Mullane is Mcgraths brother in law.

Mullane hurled for DLS this year but got a bad hamstring injury against Lismore last weekend.

Shane Curran has reportedly been approached about the Laois job while Jason Ryan is refusing to comment on the Waterford Hurling job.

Link?

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/shane-curran-laois-1047840-Aug2013/

Never mind, I’ve seen it, what a bullshit story :smiley:

“Understands”

“Appears”

Topped off by a statement saying its totally untrue buried in the story, fucking hell :smiley:

Still, he might just be mad enough for the lads.

[SIZE=6]Shane Curran ‘in the mix’ for vacant role as Laois manager[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]TheScore.ie understands that the veteran goalkeeper is on the short-list to be Justin McNulty’s replacement.[/SIZE]
36 minutes ago 220 Views No Comments
Share[/URL] [URL=‘http://twitter.com/share?url=http%3A%2F%2Fjrnl.ie%2F1047840&text=Shane+Curran+%27in+the+mix%27+for+vacant+role+as+Laois+manager+%28via+%40thescore_ie%29&related=@thescore_ie’] Tweet[/URL] [URL=‘http://thescore.thejournal.ie/shane-curran-laois-1047840-Aug2013/#EmailArticle’] Email

Curran celebrating as his St Brigid’s
Image: ©INPHO/Lorraine O’Sullivan
ICONIC ROSCOMMON GOALKEEPER Shane Curran has been approached regarding the vacant management role with Laois, TheScore.ieunderstands.

Curran, who won an All-Ireland club title with St Brigid’s at the age of 42, is said to be thinking over the move into a career as an inter-county manager.

Laois accepted the resignation of Justin McNulty early this week and now it appears as if they may once again look outside the county to install a new man at the helm.

However, from an official standpoint, the county remains at an extremely early stage in the search for McNulty’s replacement.

“Anything you hear is absolutely totally untrue,” a representative of the Laois County Board contested this afternoon.

“We accepted the resignation of Justin McNulty on Monday night and we will move forward to take the nominations from the clubs.”

Former Wexford boss Jason Ryan this morning ruled himself out of the running for the Laois job and will focus on his coaching capacity with Kildare for the foreseeable future.

could be good appointment…curran is quirky but far from stupid…isn´t he always trying to invent things?..didn´t he design the tee goalkeeper´s use?..he was taking 45´s years before any other keeper thought of it… I think he´s made a fortune here and in america from selling a product that acts as a barrier against floods…

Curran is a complete cunt (wonderful alliteration).