GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

He asked a few goalkeepers to try out his tees in the hope of getting a contract with the County Board. He said he would give them a few bob for promoting them but of course he never did.

Usually I would refrain from reporting these stories told to me but I would make an exception in this cunt’s case.

If he was so rich, he wouldn’t be living within 50 miles of Athlone.

My sources tell me that neither Jason Ryan, Luke Dempsey nor Paschal Kellaghan will be taking Westmeath football job.

Can’t believe Luke’s name was even brought up with it mind you o_O

Is Jason Ryan gone from Kildare?

@myboyblue - Who would you like for the Laois job?

:popcorn:

Quite similar to when Paul Caffrey got the Dublin football job actually.

[quote=“kerry1891, post: 820529, member: 1379”]I am not fully into or taking sides in your row with others here Kev but am making a few points I believe to be pertinent.

Shane Ryan was a good player under any manager he served in my opinion. Suffered a bit cos of his versatility. I d say he filled every jersey from number 2 to 12 at some stage in his Dublin football career. I d also reckon Shane Ryan was the person most responsible for making himself the player he was. Very committed and a team player. Linking Pillar’s managerial record with Ryan is difficult to assess. I have a recollection of Dublin fans giving Pillar stick for substituting Ryan in that classic All Ireland semi final they lost to Mayo. The way I recall it Ryan was playing very well and was substituted and his substitution coincided with Mayo’s comeback. Dubs mite be able to confirm or refute if my recollection is accurate[/quote]
What Caffrey did with Ryan was to look at his attributes and deploy him in a position where he hadn’t been used before for Dublin, a position that as it turned out, best utilised his talents. That’s like what Sean Boylan did with Brendan Reilly and Graham Geraghty when he converted them from defenders into top class attackers. It’s good management.

Regarding Ryan’s substitution against Mayo, I’d need to look at it again but I’d imagine Caffrey simply thought that he’d run himself into the ground by that stage. Jim Gavin substituted Michael Darragh McAuley for the same reason against Cork this year. Liam Sheedy took off Noel McGrath against Galway in 2010. If Tipp had lost by a point he’d have been crucified. Sometimes these calls work, sometimes they don’t.

A Laoisman, Joe would be my choice, but can see it being Tommy Conroy which I would approve of all things being relative.

Who the fuck is joe.

higgins

Higgins

Did anyone say there was anything wrong with the original appointment? Derek McGrath could turn out to be a disaster yet, who knows. The limelight changes people. And alot of people feel they need to be doing something because someone else is, or someone famous did it or they misinterpret what a good coach was doing. The last point I think is very common.

They also sometimes feel they have to impress guys at a higher level with new tricks.

Val Andrews would be a great shout for the Laois job. A perfect blend of ambition meeting tactics meeting talent.

Yea, lets say no to that one.

Is Banty still knocking around? He’d be ideal for Laois. If he wasn’t they could bring in the former Louth guy with the bad lisp.

Banty is with the Monaghan Ladies backroom team.

I was just thinking that. Wouldn’t be surprised if Tommy Carr gets mentioned as well.

Raidio na Gaeltachta is reporting that the Jim McGuinness has agreed to remain at the helm for one more year after meeting the Donegal players this afternoon.