GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

did the northside i.e. Fingal, not put out there own team this year? Surely that is an indication that its not dead, when they want to make there own county to play it?

Loughnane in Galway was aalways doomed to failure. What the fuck would a clare man know about hurling anyway? He won two AI titles by shovelling creatine down lads throats and running them up and down hills in the mid 90’s. When the traditional powerhouses like Cork, Tipp and KK caught up in the fitness stakes. normal service was resumed.

eh, Tipp? What have Tipp done since 95 to make them comparable to KK or Cork? I love how Tipp lads still think they dine at the top table and are part of the “Big 3”.

Donegal opt for Mulgrew/Bonner partnership

Former Fermanagh manager Charlie Mulgrew and All-Ireland winning captain Declan Bonner are set to be appointed as the new Donegal football management at the next meeting of the county board.

Mulgrew and Bonner were interviewed for the position on Tuesday night, and although they initially had decided to apply separately, they launched a joint bid and have now succeeded in their quest; with the new management team to be ratified next week by Donegal clubs.

Interviews concluded last night with Mulgrew and Bonner the preferred candidates, beating off 1992 All-Ireland winner John Joe Doherty; Jim McGuinness, Francie Martin and former St. Eunan’s and Glenfin manager Mickey Houston.

It’s second time lucky for Mulgrew, who was interviewed for the position last year only to be denied the post, following the appointment of Brian McIver.

Mulgrew took charge of the Erne County for four years, and he helped them reach the All-Ireland semi-final in 2004, following victories over Meath, Cork and Donegal via the qualifier route.

43-year old Na Rossa clubman Bonner is back on familiar territory, and was Donegal manager from 1998 to 2000, guiding his side to an Ulster final in his first year, only to lose out to Derry by two points in the Clones encounter.

Sean Clearkin will join Mulgrew and Bonner as a selector, while Conal Sheridan from Omagh, who was involved as a trainer during Mulgrew’s tenure in Fermanagh is set to assume that role in the new setup.

The duo’s appointment is the second joint management team to succeed in apply for an inter-county role ahead of next year’s campaign; following on from the appointment of Mickey Moran and John Morrison as the Leitrim Senior Football management.

Strange bringing Bonner back again.

I thought that too. It’s not like he was a roaring success the first time around either. There was 5 or 6 names in the hat so it could be a case of the two lads fearing they might miss out on their own and using this partnership to give them an edge over the other candidates. It’s not like they’re a Micky Moran/John Morrison style duo who have a history of working together either.

Pat O’Shea gone from Kerry according to RTE.

[quote=“myboyblue”]Donegal opt for Mulgrew/Bonner partnership

Former Fermanagh manager Charlie Mulgrew and All-Ireland winning captain Declan Bonner are set to be appointed as the new Donegal football management at the next meeting of the county board.

[/quote]

I’m in a particularly pedantic mood today for some reason. Did Anthony Molloy not captain Donegal to win the All Ireland? They’ve only won the one as far as I know. Did Bonner captain them to an U21 All Ireland or something.

Manus - are you out there?!

That was always on the cards. Kerry were tactically inept this year, especially in the final.

Yea you’re right Mac.

Kerry are some animals, but saying that out of 5 finals POS got Kerry to, he only won 2, not good enough in the Kingdom

I thought Pat O’Shea was only in the job for 2 years?

Yep, he was. I think MBB is including the finals he lost this year - league, Munster and All Ireland - as well as the Munster and All Ireland he won last year.

Of course, my hunblest apologies MBB…(Walks backwards through the door, bowing in submission, averting eyes from the gaze of a fury filled MBB)

[quote=“Mac”]I’m in a particularly pedantic mood today for some reason. Did Anthony Molloy not captain Donegal to win the All Ireland? They’ve only won the one as far as I know. Did Bonner captain them to an U21 All Ireland or something.

Manus - are you out there?![/quote]

Quite correct Mac,Anthony Molloy was captain on the 20th September 1992.

I’m not particularly happy with Bonner and Mulgrew getting another crack at this,neither were pulling up trees last time around.

I would have prefered Jimmy"Foo Fighter"McGuinness get a go at it.

Jimmy McGuinness is a manager now!!!

I am truly shocked…

Nicky English has rejected an invitation to become the next Dublin hurling manager, WRITES COLM KEYS.

English has long been linked with the Dublin position with hopes heightening continually on the back of his presence at so many games this year.

But after a number of recent approaches, English has decided that the time is not right for him to return to inter-county management.

The former Tipperary star, now based in the capital, managed his native county for four years and in that time led them to their only All-Ireland senior title of the last 17 years.

The outgoing management, headed by Tommy Naughton, stepped down when it became apparent that the players and the Board would prefer a more high-profile candidate.

Inevitably there has been speculation that Ger Loughnane, jettisoned by Galway earlier this week, would be approached but it is difficult to see the ex-Clare boss making himself available for that post.

Dublin are considered to be one of the counties with the most potential in the game over the next few years but this was clearly not enough to entice English at this point.

Jesus and there was me thinking that Tipp were part of the big three…

far play to colm keyes:

in that time led them to their only All-Ireland senior title of the last 17 years.

I could be wrong but haven’t clare and offaly won more all ireland titles in that time…and to paraphrase tipptops* “we are only a shower of mullickers”…

I have to admit to having had a little chuckle at that

That’s a bit disappointing for Dublin. Profile would have made a big difference to the game in the city but not sure they’ll get that now.

O’Shea looked a fine manager at Kerry until it game to tactics, particularly this year. Throwing away two leads against Cork was deeply worrying - far worse than Dublin’s capitulation against Mayo a couple of years back but because of the back door and the fact that they escaped with a draw the second time, O’Shea got away with it. He was shown up badly in the final again. Just didn’t seem to know how to make a decisive positive intervention from the sideline.

After the Munster Final O’Shea knew he was found out.
Inevitable.

And it looks like the Leinster Championship has started with a race to reach Ger Loughnane.