GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

I don’t think even he could help us

[SIZE=4]DJ in running for vacant Déise job[/SIZE]
Monday, September 23, 2013
Kilkenny legend DJ Carey has allowed his name to go forward for the vacant Waterford job.

The Irish Examiner understands the 42-year-old will be nominated for the position at tonight’s county board meeting.
Carey faces opposition in the form of outgoing manager Michael Ryan, former selector under Davy Fitzgerald Paraic Fanning and De La Salle’s Derek McGrath.
They are all likely to be supported for the role at the meeting.
Providing they are still interested, they will then be interviewed by the selection committee over the coming weeks.
That six-man group is made up by chairman Tom Cunningham, secretary Timmy O’Keeffe, vice-chairman John O’Leary, treasurer Joe Cleary and former players James Murray and Stephen Frampton.
Meanwhile, Kevin McStay has been approached by the Kildare County Board about succeeding Kieran McGeeney as manager.
The former Mayo star, who led Roscommon’s St Brigid’s to an All-Ireland club title, is said to be interested in the proposition of taking charge of the county.
McStay would be favourite should James Horan elect to step down in Mayo.
However, he lives in Kildare and is understood to prefer a position closer to home.

My sources tell me that Ken Hogan was offered the Offaly hurling job and has turned it down. As well as taking charge of the Tipp u-21s, he has managed Coolderry for the last few years. They reached the all-ireland two years ago but have been surprisingly knocked out in the Offaly quarter finals for the last two years.

The future of Tipperary Hurling looks pretty much fucked.

Liam Cahill is the new Minor Hurling Manager.

But worse still :eek:, TJ fucking Connolly has got the U21 Hurling gig. :mad:

Let the good times roll, Clare,Limerick,Waterford & Cork.

[quote=“carryharry, post: 836928, member: 1517”]The futures of Tipperary Hurling look pretty much fucked.

Let the good times roll, Clare,Limerick,Waterford & Cork.[/quote]
Lovely.

His cloak of invincibility will save Tipp hurling

[quote=“carryharry, post: 836928, member: 1517”]The future of Tipperary Hurling look pretty much fucked.

Was Cahill not minor manager in 2010? or was that Mark O’Leary

O’Leary.
#wearefucked

Was wondering was it THAT Liam Cahill. He’ll have half the team banned before July. Good luck to ye @carryharry!

It’s not that Liam Cahill is it?

A different type of Liam Cahill.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqhRiQQ-GalCr0bxSVC34TkPwLrHBNhJE2po-gCAV4ip_odxrGhA

[quote=“carryharry, post: 836928, member: 1517”]The future of Tipperary Hurling looks pretty much fucked.

I have heard from Ballingarry and Clonoulty lads that Cahill is a very good coach so I don’t think its that bad an appointment. It doesn’t really matter either as Tipp have a fairly shite minor team next year

Whatever about Cahill, this Connolly appointment is devastating news. I am truly horrified by it.

Shocking disrespect to a good hurling man. We all have to go to work in the morning*.

• except the jobless and those on night shifts.

Cahill is over Carrickshock at the moment afaik and I’ve heard he’s done well with them so far.

Clonoulty have fallen apart without him too

Cahill is the chap who blazed wide when faced with an open goal in the 1996 Munster final thereby leaving the door open for the inevitable Limerick fight back which was capped by a Frankie Carroll point.

[quote=“carryharry, post: 836928, member: 1517”]The future of Tipperary Hurling looks pretty much fucked.

Harry,

Declan Ryan was kinda portrayed as been not cool enough to be Tipp manager and as not having the nuance to get the best of out of a super duper Tipp team. Basically portrayed as holding back a super team.

Eamon O’Shea put forward as a super hurling coach and a great appointment.

Under Ryan Tipp won 2 Munster titles in a canter and put in a a half decent performance in an Ireland final. Under O’Shea turfed out the gate first game in Munster and beaten later by a weakened, wrecked possibly stale Kilkenny

Deccie Ryan hard done by??

[quote=“kerry1891, post: 837378, member: 1379”]Harry,

Declan Ryan was kinda portrayed as been not cool enough to be Tipp manager and as not having the nuance to get the best of out of a super duper Tipp team. Basically portrayed as holding back a super team.

Eamon O’Shea put forward as a super hurling coach and a great appointment.

Under Ryan Tipp won 2 Munster titles in a canter and put in a a half decent performance in an Ireland final. Under O’Shea turfed out the gate first game in Munster and beaten later by a weakened, wrecked possibly stale Kilkenny

Deccie Ryan hard done by??[/quote]

Alternatively you could say that Declan Ryan took over a young and hugely impressive All-Ireland winning team in late 2010 and turned them into the complete and utter shambles that Kilkenny destroyed by August 2012. I would see that as a more accurate interpretation to be honest.

Managers in Tipp are powerless against the natural cycle of things there. Following an All-Ireland victory they remain contenders for a couple of years but fail to win another title, followed by a full-blown descent into mediocrity. They’ll emerge as contenders again in about 2018 when Padraic/Padraig/Pauric Maher, Brendan Maher and Noel McGrath are the senior players and then nip in for their one All-Ireland roughly every decade or so in either 2019 or 2020.