GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

No you don’t. You need to have an idea of how you want your team play, then you work with and put your faith in your coaches to help you impart that style of play onto the players.

I see Jack O’Connor is taking over the Kerry minors. I think he would have been an excellent appointment for Kildare bearing in mind that they don’t actually have the players to win anything. A top manager.

I think he has 3 All Irelands to his name?

I heard that he took absolutely no part in the training of Cork this year, That was mainly left to Ger Cunningham.

Yes you do. You need to understand the process of coaching. If you don’t you overload a coach or a team or have unrealistic expectations.

You heard that here, and it’s correct. But he was the coach on many other teams. Did all the coaching at club level. He would understand what it needed, what works what doesn’t.

I didn’t actually mate. I heard it from a mate at work who knows JBM personally.

Maybe we should start a People Farmer Knows thread?

Isn’t he the Kerry u21 manager or just a selector?

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 839627, member: 24”]I see Jack O’Connor is taking over the Kerry minors. I think he would have been an excellent appointment for Kildare bearing in mind that they don’t actually have the players to win anything. A top manager.

I think he has 3 All Irelands to his name?[/quote]

Was not offered enough maybe. Hard to know how central he was, a couple of other people got a lot of credit for Kerry. He would go there and he wouldn’t have half the bells and whistles McGeeney would have. It could potentially lead to the players losing respect and thinking they were doing less (weather this was true or not). Not sure he’d be a great fit.

Manager. Thus little or no coaching

Manager.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 839633, member: 24”]I didn’t actually mate. I heard it from a mate at work who knows JBM personally.

Maybe we should start a People Farmer Knows thread?[/quote]

Fair enough. It’s still beside the point.

He’d probably know a bit about it all the same?

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 839627, member: 24”]I see Jack O’Connor is taking over the Kerry minors. I think he would have been an excellent appointment for Kildare bearing in mind that they don’t actually have the players to win anything. A top manager.

I think he has 3 All Irelands to his name?[/quote]
Just the three and then this lot

All-Ireland Under 21 Football Championship:
Winner (1): 1998
Munster Senior Football Championship:
Winner (4): 2004, 2005, 2010, 2011
Munster Under-21 Football Championship:
Winner (2): 1998, 1999
National Football League:
Winner (3): 2004, 2006, 2009

Off the top of my head I think he has something like this at underage

• 2 All Ireland Intercounty Vocational Schools titles with Kerry (1991 & ’92)
  • 3 All Ireland Vocational Schools titles with Scoil Uí Chonaill and Choláiste na Sceilge (1997, 1999, 2000)
  • 3 Corn Uí Mhuirí (Munster Colleges SFC) titles in a row with Choláiste na Sceilge (2001 – 2003)
  • Hogan Cup title with Choláiste na Sceilge in 2009

More recently he’s been involved in an advisory capacity with the 2 County Under 16 Development Squads.

No doubt. But to go and take on a county team in another county? The name will only carry you so far. Not saying he could never do it, but would be madness to do it now. Even reading his articles over past couple if years would suggest he lacks a bit if understanding of what goes on these days.

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 839643, member: 180”]Just the three and then this lot

• 3 All Ireland Vocational Schools titles with Scoil Uí Chonaill and Choláiste na Sceilge (1997, 1999, 2000)
  • 3 Corn Uí Mhuirí (Munster Colleges SFC) titles in a row with Choláiste na Sceilge (2001 – 2003)

More recently he’s been involved in an advisory capacity with the 2 County Under 16 Development Squads.[/quote]

Fucking hell.

What years did he win the Senior All Ireland? 2004, 2006 definitely. Was he there in 2007 or was it 2009?

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 839643, member: 180”]Just the three and then this lot

More recently he’s been involved in an advisory capacity with the 2 County Under 16 Development Squads.[/quote]

Made the right decision so. Stick to where he knows. Not that we even know he was in for Kildare job

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 839646, member: 24”]Fucking hell.

What years did he win the Senior All Ireland? 2004, 2006 definitely. Was he there in 2007 or was it 2009?[/quote]
All-Ireland Senior Football Championship:
Runner-up (2): 2005, 2011

2007 was Pat O Se

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 839633, member: 24”]I didn’t actually mate. I heard it from a mate at work who knows JBM personally.

Maybe we should start a People Farmer Knows thread?[/quote]

JBM is directly on my thread and I have his phone number, so it’s not worth it, you’ll always be 2nd rate.

One of the most ingenious pieces of management came under his reign in Kerry in the 2004 All Ireland against Mayo. I am going to assume that O’Connor came up with it.

He looked at the Mayo full forward line and noted that it was very small. He then deduced that in training when backs would mark forwards, no high balls would have been kicked in given the size of the forwards. From that he arrived at the idea that the Mayo full back line, while not tiny, would not be used to high balls being kicked in. He selected Johnny Crowley in one corner out of nowhere as he was very good in the air. Gooch in the other corner who showed how good in the air he was. Long, high balls thumped in, and the game was over after a few minutes. One of Gooch’s goals that day was as fine of a goal to ever grace Croke Park.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 839650, member: 24”]One of the most ingenious pieces of management came under his reign in Kerry in the 2004 All Ireland against Mayo. I am going to assume that O’Connor came up with it.

He looked at the Mayo full forward line and noted that it was very small. He then deduced that in training when backs would mark forwards, no high balls would have been kicked in given the size of the forwards. From that he arrived at the idea that the Mayo full back line, while not tiny, would not be used to high balls being kicked in. He selected Johnny Crowley in one corner out of nowhere as he was very good in the air. Gooch in the other corner who showed how good in the air he was. Long, high balls thumped in, and the game was over after a few minutes. One of Gooch’s goals that day was as fine of a goal to ever grace Croke Park.[/quote]

He, or someone, pulled a number of strokes over the years. He completely got Cork in 09.

Tyrone made a bollix of him though