GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 839650, member: 24”]One of the most ingenious pieces of management came under his reign in Kerry in the 2004 All Ireland against Mayo. I am going to assume that O’Connor came up with it.

He looked at the Mayo full forward line and noted that it was very small. He then deduced that in training when backs would mark forwards, no high balls would have been kicked in given the size of the forwards. From that he arrived at the idea that the Mayo full back line, while not tiny, would not be used to high balls being kicked in. He selected Johnny Crowley in one corner out of nowhere as he was very good in the air. Gooch in the other corner who showed how good in the air he was. Long, high balls thumped in, and the game was over after a few minutes. One of Gooch’s goals that day was as fine of a goal to ever grace Croke Park.[/quote]
Crowley was some footballer, you’d almost forget about the likes of him but he was outstanding.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 839620, member: 273”]But he had coached. And had been a very successful business manager.

Not compareable[/quote]

who did he coach?.. and would you think Donald Trump could be an intercounty manager seeing as he is a successful business manager?..

He was very good alright. Didn’t he run amok that day in Thurles against the Dubs - the day of Maurice Fitz’s point? Or maybe it was the replay? He scored about 3 goals.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 839653, member: 273”]He, or someone, pulled a number of strokes over the years. He completely got Cork in 09.

Tyrone made a bollix of him though[/quote]
He’s W1 L1 against them in championship football and has won the majority of league meetings.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 839650, member: 24”]One of the most ingenious pieces of management came under his reign in Kerry in the 2004 All Ireland against Mayo. I am going to assume that O’Connor came up with it.

He looked at the Mayo full forward line and noted that it was very small. He then deduced that in training when backs would mark forwards, no high balls would have been kicked in given the size of the forwards. From that he arrived at the idea that the Mayo full back line, while not tiny, would not be used to high balls being kicked in. He selected Johnny Crowley in one corner out of nowhere as he was very good in the air. Gooch in the other corner who showed how good in the air he was. Long, high balls thumped in, and the game was over after a few minutes. One of Gooch’s goals that day was as fine of a goal to ever grace Croke Park.[/quote]
Actually halfway through O’Connor’s book at the moment and read about that tactic last night. He really paints his upbringing to be that almost of a caveman and he seems to have a fierce chip on his shoulder about everything. Not a bad read all the same.

Mayo actually made the early running in 2004 with a goal from Dillon and a couple of great points from McDonald but Kerry soon took over. Gooch’s goal was the only one Kerry got that day but they became the first and so far only team to hit 20 points in a final.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 839698, member: 183”]Actually halfway through O’Connor’s book at the moment and read about that tactic last night. He really paints his upbringing to be that almost of a caveman and he seems to have a fierce chip on his shoulder about everything. Not a bad read all the same.

Mayo actually made the early running in 2004 with a goal from Dillon and a couple of great points from McDonald but Kerry soon took over. Gooch’s goal was the only one Kerry got that day but they became the first and so far only team to hit 20 points in a final.[/quote]

Sid - you’ll remember this. Who was full back for Mayo in 2006 and got destroyed by Donaghy? I recall David Brady coming on after about 15 minutes in an attempt to stop Donaghy but I can’t remember the full back. Was it David Heaney? Surely Kevin Cahill wasn’t still knocking around?

Heaney is correct. It was asking for trouble at the time and Moran got it.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 839698, member: 183”]Actually halfway through O’Connor’s book at the moment and read about that tactic last night. He really paints his upbringing to be that almost of a caveman and he seems to have a fierce chip on his shoulder about everything. Not a bad read all the same.
.[/quote]

its actually a good read…he seemed to have a serious chip with the Kerry players of the 70’s and reckoned they didn’t respect him because he never played at their level…you’d swear Declan o Sullivan was his son the way he talks about him in the book…i’d say he’d argue with a fly…isn’t there a story he tells about sending a letter and a video tape of a schools match he lost to the referee of the game over some decision he made that cost Jack’s team?..

To be fair Declan O’Sullivan got plenty of stick when he first arrived on the scene, he was hauled off against Cork in Pairc Ui Chaoimh in one championship match and there were ironic cheers from some Kerry fans (only playing because he was the managers favourite etc).

It’s only natural he’d defend lads from his own club or area, we’re all parochial in the GAA in that regard to be honest.

Frank Dawson gone from his role as Antrim football manager.

I’d expect Mick O’Dwyer to get the position - he loves driving you know…

Was it not one if the reasons he was given job.

08? I always completely forget about Pat O Se.
Who beat Kerry in 05?

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 839902, member: 273”]08? I always completely forget about Pat O Se.
Who beat Kerry in 05?[/quote]

O’Se was 08.

O’Connor was 05.

So Sid is wrong? When did Kerry beat Tyrone? I can’t remember?

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 839908, member: 24”]O’Se was 08.

O’Connor was 05.[/quote]

Oh last year. Forgot about that.

I’m not sure. He usually isn’t wrong on these things.

Was Paidi in charge in 2003? Although I could swear I read that O’Connor apporached Harte in 2003 proclaiming the performance as one of the finest he ever saw while the Spillane clown was going on about puke football.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 839914, member: 24”]I’m not sure. He usually isn’t wrong on these things.

Was Paidi in charge in 2003? Although I could swear I read that O’Connor apporached Harte in 2003 proclaiming the performance as one of the finest he ever saw while the Spillane clown was going on about puke football.[/quote]
O Se was ousted after '03 and took over Westmeath immediately and lead them to Leinster in '04

Pat spelt his name O’Shea not O’Se.

I was throwing O Connor under the bus with the rest of Kerry’s record against Tyrone. Last year was outside the context of the true rivalry, both teams were way off their best.

Sid was right of course.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 839970, member: 273”]Last year was outside the context of the true rivalry, both teams were way off their best.
[/quote]

Agreed.