GAA Rule Changes

Do you have to swap the hurl between hands in a?
Confused Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Yes - like in this vid when yer man is running towards camera.

1 Like

I’m getting no joy from Google. Anyone able to say with certainty when the rule in football changed to allow players take frees from the hand?

1989/90 league had a load of new rules, some survived like the free from hands and some were scrapped like 4 quarters. 1990 the first championship with frees from hands but not the same rule as modern day.

1 Like

In 1990 championship the player fouled could choose to take a free from the hands. If someone else took it then it had to be off the ground.

2 Likes

Definitely changed for 1990.
The old rules still applied in 1989.

Can’t remember if sideline kick changed at the same time, think it did.

1 Like

Sidelines were definitely out of the hand in 1990

1 Like

Playing 6, I had to go kick the sidelines as the wasters outside could not do so. Takes me back

This is going to cause massive problems.

The advantage rule. This means if player is fouled but still manages to score or release the ball to a player in a better position, then the score counts or play can continue? Would that be about it?

How about the score counts and they also get a free

You’re not far off…if the ball goes to a teammate who has a scoring opportunity- would you call that an advantage?

Yeah leave it off but if the fouled player takes the shot the score should still count and a free awarded, if they miss then just a free

So it has to be a score? It doesn’t actually say that in the rules though…it says an advantage, not a score

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2024/0301/1435444-overcarrying-a-step-too-far-for-the-gaa/

It’d be interesting to see if the facts back up Barry Kelly’s assertions.

To me, you have a very good chance of getting away with steps as long as you don’t hesitate or seem unsure. It’s nearly impossible to count steps when you’re looking at other things too, as Gough says.

The time based one is interesting but tp be practical it’ll be impossible for refs to implement. Its hard enough fpr them now

A referee could be counting to 5 in his head during an advantage and now they want a simultaneous mental count for steps. Good luck with trying to get Coffey, Phelan or Flaherty to do that in Limerick.

1 Like

The 65 as a restart is a ridiculous thing. Basically, its near enough an automatic score for putting a ball out of play. The 45 is nearly as bad, but doesnt have the same automatic score as the 65.

A solution maybe to start with a line ball placed on the 21? It gives the team possession back, you could try for a score off the line ball, but its not a given like it is with the 65.

A Carlow lad lost his hurl yesterday and ran on with the ball hopping it off his knee in a solo type motion. A free was given. Similar to one of the Wexford players soloing the ball against Galway and giving a free away. Seems a ridiculous rule. Is the intention to force a kick or a handpass away?