GAA Rule Changes

Thatā€™s wrong. Rule as below. No way it would have got past congress otherwise. Would kill club teams.

A player on an Inter-County Minor panel shall not
play in Adult Club League Competitions/Challenge
Games until his Inter-County activity for the year is
concluded.
An Inter-County panelist is defined as a player listed
in a panel of 24 players on March 1st, and which
may be amended and confirmed to the County
Secretary on a monthly basis thereafter.

1 Like

Never EVER rely on a rule ā€œclarificationā€ given to you by one of our local paid administrators. If at all possible go direct to Croke Park. Iā€™ve heard some ridiculous advice given by our local reps in recent years which has been proved totally incorrect once clarified by Croke Park.

Donā€™t play any player based on a phone call to the board. Make sure you get it all in an email and CC others on the email by way of reply.

You misread me there. I was agreeing with @Breaking_my_balls, that the interpretation we had then received was ok to play championship but not league or challenges.

It has gone up the chain, it impacts a lot of clubs in the coming few weeks.

The rule change for u17s not playing adult competition has been dragged into that review also. There were varying opinions but the view now accepted is that a player born 1999 can play u21 in 2016 but cannot play any junior, intermediate or senior competitions.

So the ā€œmarkā€ is coming in this January at all levels. Sure to cause carnage for a few months.

Having read the rules there in an article on the GAA website, Iā€™m confused as to what constitutes a mark.

The rule states the ball must not have been touched in flight by another player, but say two lads contest it, and one comes out with it cleanly, does that mean no mark? Say in the below scenario the Mayo man comes out with it.

Say a lad gets a finger to it before the would be marker is catching it, is that not a mark? Like say below the lad at the back catches it over the head of the other chap who would have touched it.

I think a big flaw in the rule is that the mark can be called once outside the 45, thatā€™ll mean everyone aiming short kickouts at the 45 yard line, I think it should have rewarded only beyond the 65, that would reward more adventurous play.

Also the injured rule is open to exploitation to slow the game down.

The bit I think is shit is that when a person calls a mark then his next pass has to go at least 13 metres - he should be able to play it wherever and to whoever he likes irrespective of distance. Youā€™ll see all these petty referees stopping play for throw-ins because the pass after the mark didnā€™t reach 13 metres.

6 Likes

Agreed, you should be allowed to just play on after calling for the mark if it suits, not have the choice of playing on or calling the mark.

1 Like

As a TFK great regularly says, weā€™re actually agreeing with each other.

why are these muldoons in the gaa always fucking about with the rules?

3 Likes

Iā€™ve a pain in my neck from nodding along in agreement with you

Fuck em, sure tis only footballā€¦

I think you have misread the rule.

You misread the rule too. Ffs.

Are you sure?

From the link:

"7. How far do players have to be from the free kick?

All players (team-mates and opponents) must be 13m from the free kick."

Whatā€™s your interpretation of it?

Yes Iā€™m sure. Carry on.

The correct interpretation. Read it again.

:rollseyes:

:rollseyes::rollseyes:

You are allowed to play on after catching it
You just stop playing if you wish to avail of the free kick. You donā€™t need to call it as such

:rollseyes::rollseyes::rollseyes: