Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

I’m merely pointing out it’s nonsensical to use the weather as some plus.

It can rain all day every day in any month of the year in ireland In unfortunately.

1 Like

Jarlath is a proper gaa man.

3 Likes

He’s like maximus in gladiator.

Take the power off the inter county teams and hand it back to the clubs.

Give as many counties a fair chance of competing.

Nfl style sponsorship deals as well. Also academy funding to nfl style.

We can make the gaa great again while also respecting both the club and inter county season.

I can’t help thinking that Jarlath, well meaning and all as he is, is a bit of a dreamer and might be a bit naive as to how difficult it will be to get 40 or 50 different administrative entities that make up the GAA all pulling in the one direction

I called it from the start.

Also credit to dead poster @Dziekanowski who called it back in 2020.

It makes sense to start the hurling championship at the end of April and have the final the August back holiday weekend with the football the second week of August.

Aside from your four semi finalists in each code every other county is done and dusted by early/mid July allowing club championships to commence a few weeks later.

2 Likes

Gets Roy It

https://twitter.com/RoyCurtis68/status/1780250334708785527

One of the greatest TFK vindications ever you’d have to say.

Its really unravelled in the last couple of weeks for the split season zealots.

3 Likes

Roy is correct that Wicklow and Waterford’s wins were joyous but lost in the fog. In nature, these were tremenjus on the day upsets. Had Wicklow’s win over Westmeath been where it should have been in the calendar - May 26th - they’d have packed Aughrim - the appropriate venue - for the visit of Kildare on June 9th.

2 Likes

That’s what Jars is at… Shop September, shake hands on August.

Fantastic weather the weekend. The doom and gloom merchants will be gutted.

is the player pool much smaller than Clare?

Shouldn’t be but it’s just that half of them play for the Ballygunner b/c/d/e teams.

Not sure how jarlath is going to get all 32 counties to run their league and championship at the same time,and impossible task I’d say

https://twitter.com/moylesiea/status/1780364441495732390

I’d forgotten I’d this thread on ignore, I actually thought the lads had grown up a bit :smiley:

Some right nutballs in the replies.

1 Like

Waterford are quite unique though in that their relative success from 2015 until the spring of 2022 was built around an All-Ireland winning minor (2013) and U21 (2016) group. Of course you have lads like TDB and Dessie Hutchinson who weren’t part of that team but most of the main protagonists were. They’ve struggled for any traction at underage since which hasn’t helped.

But the current structure certainly doesn’t suit them. In 2017 they lost to Cork the first day out in Munster but recovered in the qualifiers by beating Offaly and Kilkenny, followed by a quarter-final victory over Wexford. By the time the semi-final rematch against Cork rolled around they were in a much better place. In the round robin system if they lose the opening game then the pressure intensifies and they don’t tend to react well.

1 Like

The current system does not suit Waterford because round robin suits those with the most resources. And there are a load of other Waterfords all over the country in hurling and football, at club and county level.

Round robin as the primary format in GAA championships will kill off the weak at both club and county level.

2 Likes

In essence you are correct but if you ask a player from a mid/lower tier county whether they could have:
A: 3/4 guaranteed games or
B: a knockout game where they will be 5/1 outsiders they nearly all prefer option A.

That’s probably one of the main reasons for the ridiculous round robin in football. To make matters worse only 4 teams are eliminated after 24 games.

1 Like

This is where the back door system worked. You had two chances. If you lose two games, you don’t have any business being in a championship. You could lose three now and still make the quarter-finals.

The back door system in the Championship worked when the round robin competition - the League - was more evenly matched with the 1A/1B/2A/2B format. When it went to Divisions 1-4 in the NFL the gaps started to appear in the championship.

The anti-split season/pro-CHAINJ brigade baffle me. Their whole argument is that attendances and general public interest in hurling and Gaelic football don’t matter. Has any sporting organisation in history ever actively tried to lower public interest in its sports?

2 Likes