Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Is it a thing that Ballygunner hoover up all the emerging talent in and around Waterford city so as no one else has a chance really?

You just can’t believe lads on TFK anymore

The season needs to be put back a month, clubs who reach all Irelands get a bye in provincial clubs, problem solved.

I know a few lads who play dual in Waterford and they like playing hurling off before focusing on the big ball.

I remember clubs been knocked out in early June. They have still survived.

3 Likes

You could argue when there was two games played in April some clubs were out by then.

Some lads have very short memories of how it used to be

1 Like

Dassright.

That used to be a thing in Wexford in 90s.

Out out out they said.

In fact, HWH Bunclody got deleted from the SFC in and around 17 July 2000.

And they’re still kicking strong.

Club players always went away during the summer months. When you were playing off the business end of the club championship from late August through October, you’d have most of them back.

There’s additional domino effects from earlier inter-county season now though with the heavy lifting from mid April to mid May. Serious pressure on the younger cohort of players who are doing university exams. With most teams bar All Ireland Finaliats eliminated from the championship by end of June/first week in July, inter-county players like Brian Fenton lost to their clubs as they head abroad.

A dumbing down all round of both club and county teams with reduced quality.

1 Like

They won the hearts and minds of everyone who watched. With no serious GAA on today, that’s a lot

I always found the lads coming back off a J1 weren’t worth a fuck the year they came back.

It’s almost like they were on the total piss for the summer.

Anecdotal of course.

1 Like

It’s almost like you’ve actually had a close involvement with club GAA

A slow burner championship is definitely better than a blitz like Waterford/Wexford but Limerick and Dublin hurling both seem to be unnecessarily drawn out.

My problem with the Limerick championship is that the structure doesnt allow for clubs to “break through the glass ceiling” as such and you end up with the same 4 teams in the semi finals forever.

I’m gonna say I’ve nearly seen it from every angle at this stage.

I got the shit hammered out of me by Tipp Tipp Tipp in a Tony Forrestal game too. And not sure if any of the Tipp lads even hurled minor.

Got hospitalised the same day by a Limerick cunt.

1 Like

Mount Sion and Roanmore have had some good underage teams and success in recent years.

Most of the development in Waterford over the last 25-30 years has been on the southern flank of the city. There’s over 900 pupils in St Mary’s National School in Ballygunner now. I’m told that a little over 25 years ago, it was around the 300 mark. A Gaelscoil with another 200 or so in Ballygunner as well.

The general competitiveness in Waterford could benefit from a split in Ballygunner and another club on the southern end of the city like you had with Roanmore from Mount Sion in the early 1970’s.

I suspect though that Ballygunner might not have it all their own way in the semi final against Roanmore and beyond that most likely against Mount Sion in final. Mount Sion really should have beaten them last year.

Lads will come. Lads will go. You’ll have seasons when everything clicks, you’ll have seasons when you’re bursting your bollocks to simply keep the ship afloat. Lads bemoaning the quality or lack thereof simply haven’t a clue what it takes to steer the ship, or even sail the fucking thing.

4 Likes

Struggling to think of any organization throughout History who so willingly gave up primeime, and remained relevant for long

1 Like

They seem to have bags of money.

Spending a couple of million on development.

And a solid fortune on the hurling team.

Is Gaultier part of Ballygunnar or is it a separate parish?

Could a solution simply for them to play hurling?

They’d be a very middle class club. Almost more of a rugby club feel about them.

They lost so. Fair enough.