Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

The Club player wins for a change

1 Like

If the inter county is happy it’s a sure sign it’s awful for the clubs.

Were the Ahane senior hurling management stopping them from playing football at the same time? Essentially all that’s changed here is that they were knocked out in the group stages in the hurling so.

In fairness playing two codes at a high level isnt sustainable.

It’s junior and intermediate. I’m sure they’ve loads of lads doing it, and they aren’t supremely fit athletes.

2 Likes

It always grinds my gears when an inter county hurler or footballer makes a laugh out of going back playing junior in the other code for the club. You’d swear it wasn’t serious business.

2 Likes

As in football and hurling at club level? It would be very sad if county hurlers didn’t tog with their club in football too. I can’t really see how the split season would allow Tom Morrissey to play more football now. Limerick isn’t even split into hurling first and then football like Wexford. It’s a fairly similar arrangement of games. Just earlier in the calendar year.

1 Like

There is, but are they getting the best of themselves in either code is the question.

I don’t think they are to be honest.

Take your run of the mill Junior A club hurler and intermediate footballer in Limerick as an example. Nowadays playing both in my opinion means you don’t really excel at either.

Even in terms of training commitments. You would be out nearly every evening. It’s not sustainable unfortunately if you want to be successful in my opinion.

Thats not what I’m talking about at all. Its ideal sure to go back and kick around a ball after the hurling is done at junior A level football when your out of the senior hurling championship and have won another AI senior medal.

Football in Limerick outside of a few clubs is a waste of time. No offence to football mad posters but it is a fact.

Great that we got most of the club championship played in good weather in August and September. Weather has taken a bad turn in last week.

1 Like

And we only getting down to the business end now in most counties. They should bring the intercounty back into april altogether

Were you not slating Wexford for having the hurling finished in August last week?:joy:

1 Like

There was a real sense the Club Championship’s really went up a gear last weekend. As it normally does on the last weekend in September.

The 8 week period from July 24th to September 17th saw dumbed down blitzes in the likes of Waterford/Wexford/Carlow with these Championship’s losing much of their prestige… Some places saw a series of nothing games in Limerick/Kilkenny/Dublin hurling etc while other counties were somewhere in between.

This 8 week period could be handled so much better with a bit of nuanced thinking as opposed to the simplistic ‘draw a line at the end of July’ model at present.

1 Like

Sure was. Wexford finished early August. Another 7 weekends to end of September.

Does this mean @TheLimericks will be going into hibernation off this thread now?

Looking at the weather outside thank god for the split season. Imagine playing first round championship games in this crap.

1 Like

Yesterday was a lovely balmy day. Pity most Club GAA players are finished for the year.

Huge number of GAA lads playing soccer now which is fine, but I don’t buy the weather argument at all. Soccer games will be played off fine for next few months and lads will only be mad for it.

Anyway I see Laois/Offaly/Wexford/Carlow/Kildare Club hurling finals are over already now and the Leinster Club isn’t starting until the second week in November :grinning:

Absolutely mental stuff and shows the lack of thought that went into the split season.

1 Like

About 2 people attend junior soccer games. Loads of junior soccer games postponed last year due to weather. I’d imagine most club players happy to be finished in September if they are not good enough.

U20 starting in Laois over the coming weeks. Great to give it a decent spot in the calendar, even if lads are away at college.

Magnificent to see Lads have a run off the Club action and wind it down then as the nights close in. Lads couldn’t be happier with the way it all is. I’d even pull the Leinster Club stuff forward now a bit also. Get other counties to streamline their grades in line with efficient counties

My understanding is the soccer season is very much front loaded now with most games being played off pre Christmas as postponements due to weather are most prominent in Jan/Feb/March.

When weeks are scarce and you leave 6 weeks free to prepare for Leinster Club is criminal.