Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

It’s October now. Most young fellows who head off travelling for the summer are long home by October.

1 Like

Eastern Harps (2008) and Curry (2003) both represented Sligo in the Connacht final. Both were beaten by the Galway reps.

Allen Gaels (1997) were the last Leitrim club to make the final. They lost out to Corofin.

Awful weather but apparently club championship games midweek under lights in October are what the people want. I like my GAA but wouldnt fancy going to a match tonight.

1 Like

I see Malachy Clerkin was spouting serious BS on the 42 today.

It’s amazing how lads like him get paid for writing about gaa yet hate the club game so much.

That the journo? Split season not good for the inter county only journos.

1 Like

That’s him.

Could he not find some story among the hundreds of competitions ongoing.

Cork county final scheduled for bank holiday Sunday between Nemo and the Barrs…now nemo and the barrs in front of 800 people on a dank late autumn afternoon down tte park is in the things that are right section, the long walk down the marina, crunchy leaves, a bite in the smoggy air and into the car after to listen to Philip Green @Cheasty report on the 315pm.kick off from Dalymount … anyhow see the 1993 and 2010 (no philip green) county finals that i attended…in both those years cork reached the AIF so Frank had the entire championships from the second round onwards postponed till mid august…anyhow…who beat us this year?..honesty i cant remember but id say we were done in June…around the time of a traditional Munster semi final…anyway that hasnt stopped the county final not happening until the end of October…i know frank was a fixture genius but stop me where im getting something wrong here…

1 Like

Junior soccer is this country’s national sport.
Intermediate soccer is solely dublin and cork cities and a few garrison towns like cobh.but in rural Ireland junior soccer rules the roost…

1 Like

Agreed
Great post
Its gone up a notch also because this is when we traditionally have county finals. The messing that was going on there in those 8 weeks happens every year. Its just local games or squabbles that local folk know about. This idea of fellas trying to pitch it as in the context of national sporting interest is daft.

What is it all about lads. This rushed championship. Then this lull before a little creak back again now for county finals…we decided to tip over to o mahonys and ballinabracky last Saturday after an u9 game in dunshaughlin…like i knew about this as its our club senior team…i know the intermediarie semi was olso…but i mean who outside of folks there in the clubs gives a fuck…did rushing the AIF into july change anything…no…

1 Like

There’s 2,500 clubs in the country so cumulatively that’s an awful lot of people that give a fuck

Yeah but its a parochial squabble…nothing more . Nothing less

Malachy’s credibility has been destroyed here.

1 Like

Not just garrison towns, almost every town in cork is gone munster senior league. Carrigtwohill are in it now as well.

The MSL aren’t taking any more applications from the AUL for a few years

All life is a parochial struggle, just ask Putin and Zelensky.

What is he on about? There was championship in 90% of counties in August

Be a lot more than 800 people at Barrs v Nemo mate.

Junior soccer rules the roost? You are obviously having a laugh. I’ve never seen a couple of thousand people at a junior soccer game. More like 10 people with lads dragged out of bed to play. Gaa is massively important in rural Ireland. You are correct, it is parochial but to a lot of people it is a major part of their life’s. To compare Gaa to junior soccer is laughable.

2 Likes

Sounds like midweek Championship Hurling in October was a rip roaring success in Galway tonight cc @Perez2017

Only the zealots would have enjoyed the likes of thsi

All the hallmarks of a hastily arranged game that everyone really loves.